Fish Storage?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When you guys are fishing tournaments, how do you store your fish to make it to the weigh in?

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    check out rivercatsc livewell he made out of a 100 gallon stock tank. It's sweet, we tested it out last weekend...

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's what I have too. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet though, hopefully this weekend though.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Steve, talk to Freespool.. He built one this spring and may be interested in selling it..

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I have another idea, Steve. Since the Rat likely won't be using his fish jacuzzi this weekend, perhaps we could just store our fish in his. It will also save on the gas as we won't be lugging the extra 300lbs of fish and 100 gallons of water.

How about it, ratman? We just need you to fish the Alton area and be available upon request. I'll go ahead and bring the two way radios.

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    If my partner backs out of the tourney i will be down at the boat ramp early to help out, I wont be fishing and then you can use my 100 gallon livewell.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Jason, do you have anything in there to pump oxygen into the water? If so what do you use? If not, what do you do to help keep the fish alive and healthy? That's my only concern, keeping the fish alive and healthy with the warmer water.

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Great question. I'm thinking of taking the little pump out of my neighbors garden fountain, the battery out of Nessie's car, a hose from the garage and an A/C to DC converter from the wife's car. I will tie this mess together and at least pump water into the tub (if we get one) and siphon out the old. When the pump dies or the battery goes dead, Nessie will just have to blow bubbles for a while.

With that said, I don't think this is a solid plan.

9. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    Rat i have a Pure Medical Oxygen air tank and a large air stone from the pet shop with a total of three pumps conected to my live-well one circulate's the water at the bottom of the tank and creates current, one circulates the water from the bottom of the tank to the top and sprays water down and creates bubbles and one is constantly circulating fresh river water in and the old water over-flows back out of my boat. All three stay on constantly never lost a fish in my big tank. knock knock on wood!!

10. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    By the way, water being sprayed back into the tank to create bubbles helps but its a far cry from putting oxygen back into the water.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'd really like to see your set-up. Right now all I have is a 1000gph bilge pump to pump water in and out! I was thinking of getting some blocks of ice to keep the water cool too, but as far as getting a Pure Medical Oxygen air tank, I just don't think Mrs Rat would allow for that. I have thought about the Akwa-Lung system, but at $165 dollars, that puts a nice dent into the wallet!!

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO

In a word......wow. I can't say I underestimated a true cat hunters passion for the critters, but it's still a shock every now and then. I'm not sure I've even seen the tip of the iceberg.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I was checking out Brian's (Wielms) livewell this weekend, and he has a sweet setup also. He just hooked up an oxygen tank to his. He said it works great.:wink:

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Okay.......where does a guy get an oxygen tank???????

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Look up medical supply.. You'll need a regulator too..

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    or a welding supply.

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey would a divers tank work.. It usually has a regulator on it and you can get them refilled fairly cheap..

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Try Praxair, Ozarc Gas, or Delta Gases. They should have what you need. A small portable O2 tank for portable torches should work perfect. Not sure on what kind of regulator you might use. Oxygen is usually high pressure, but you could probably get by with a low pressure regulator, such as an acetylene regulator. Other than that, you would have to go to a medical regulator, which I'm sure is alot more expensive.:wink:

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Jason, if you're going to all the trouble of oxygenating the water, why are you then pumping it back into the river?

Having the spray head is a good idea - with regular air bubbles the O2 is transferred to the water and CO2 is transferred from the water to the bubbles. With pure O2, the CO2 isn't transferred out. Dunno why, but I've read that in a few places.

RAT, they also make an oxygen generator/concentrator. It basically "filters" the O2 out of regular air and sends it out a stream of O2 from the other side of the unit. Kind of pricey, but no worries about running a tank empty, having a cylinder of high pressure oxidizing gas on board, etc:wink: I'd love to have one for bait.

http://www.dotmed.com/listing/410265?utm_source=base&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=Base

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imh..._cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=IRC5LX&catOID=null

20. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    Brandon, warmer water become stressful for catfish and even warmer water can become lethal, i have found its easier to maintain a constant tempature with a continuously repenlished fresh water, recirculated water can become hotter faster. blocks of ice only works for so long then that water too becomes hot and then you find yourself pumping that water out and there goes all of your oxygen, besides pulling fish from 85 degree water and putting them in a tank full of ice can cause alot of stress on a fish. Thats why you should let fish aclamate from the pet store before you release them into your fish tank at home.Have you ever emptied a livewell out and seen all the nasty stuff the catfish spits up? I dont want all that nasty stuff floating around in my livewell, I choose to get rid of it all. Im not saying the way i do things is the best way, but i can say making sure your fish are happy and healthy is worth spending a few hundred dollars. It all boils down to dissolved oxygen levels, oxygen dissolved faster in warmer water and the amount of oxygen that can be dissolved in water is directly related to water temerature. Hot water holds less oxygen and catfish use more oxygen in hot water. Hope this clears things up.:wink: