Fish shocker plans??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BLKCLOUD, Aug 14, 2006.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Probably in the wrong topic area but.. do any of you have plans to build a fish shocker? I have a lot on a 30 acre private lake that is overwhelmed with shad 10-12 inches long.. no one will try and do anything about them and the fishing has gone down hill in the past few years.. I figure if I could shock and net a few thousand of them over a course of a year or so it may help. you can sometimes see schools of them out in the middle as big as a pickup truck..thanks!!

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    And a some more flatheads to it!! No that probally a bad idea if there is alreays flatheads in the lake.

Maybe call the DNR!

3. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    first dont shock your pond,,,,,,chum the fish in and try some dynomite or m-80's attach a m-80 to some fishin line and a sinker ittl get rid of them

4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    im just kiddn, add some bigger fish to your lake

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've never heard of a healthy shad population being a negative for a lake. They eat plankton, the predatory fish then eat the shad. Now I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm no expert in that area, but in most situations the shad would be considered a positive thing.

Calling the DNR for advice might be the best option? If you were close by I would offer come by with my castnet every now and then and take some off of your hands :smile2:

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    add a few hybrid striped bass..... and then a few more... and a few more..... i would honestly call DNR. or net those shad and sell them to a local bait shop....

7. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    A shocker will not work in a pond anyway. You need moving water, current, in order to shock. Plus, I doubt a shocker will raise shad anyway.

I guess you could go to the river, shock some cats, throw them in the pond, and solve your problem that way.

8. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Why would a shocker not work in a pond?

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Shad can hurt small lakes here is part of a press release from earlier this year here in Ky.
    Corinth Lake in Grant County will close to the public the week of Jan. 9. Fisheries biologists with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources plan to spray Corinth with a chemical designed to eliminate gizzard shad from the 96-acre lake.
    The department is taking this action because shad can overpopulate small lakes and cause stunted growth among bluegill, bass and red-eared sunfish – the reason why shad cannot be used as bait in Corinth Lake. However, biologists believe someone illegally dumped shad in the lake, which created the need for the removal program.
    Prather said the shad removal chemical will have minimal impact to bass, catfish and panfish in Corinth Lake. The department has performed similar shad removal projects over the past 11 years at Beaver, Elmer Davis and McNeely lakes

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would think real long and hard before introducing species of fish to a small lake like that.
    I might keep one flathead in a small pond here in the backyard where I can go catch him about anytime but I wouldnt put several flathead in a small body of water that I couldnt control.

We rely on the county extension office and university to guide us in stocking ponds and anything associated with ponds or small lakes.

Going at it alone and blind is very unlikely going to help the body of water and achieve what you are after.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You have to have running water to shock Iwould call the game and fish com. they are traine for that sort of thing and well be happy to advise you if you don`t own the entire lake you could get in serous trouble:big_smile:

12. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    if you have to have moving water for a shoker to work how do you get killed in the bath tub. electricity in water is going to flow no mater what. and if its mounted on the front of a boat theres your moving water.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Most likely the problem in your pond is that there are too many bigger fish in there, Shad should be a good thing, I have a pond beside my house that got too many Bass and stuff in it and now the fishing has went down hill from what it used to be.

14. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i cant suggest anything that hasnt already been said....call DNR or Net the fish and do something with them

15. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    A telephone crank or snuff box shocker needs running water. a generator does not. the Illinois dnr shocks lakes and ponds all the time. I think they use DC current off a small portable generator. they have fiberglass poles extended off of each side of the boat. I think it is just positive cables off the poles with the boat grounded. the state fish biologist lives close to me, i will check with him tomorrow. you don't have to kill them, maybe transplant them somewhere?
    catwacker

16. pacc76

pacc76 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't try to shock fish because of the possibility of killing yourself or someone else on the lake.

You could get literally thousands if you were diligent with a cast net. You could then have the best garden in town if you wanted! Aren't there any catfish in the lake?

17. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    we have many channel cats and several big bass are caught there each year.. 5-10 pounds.. but these shad are in there by the millions..a fisheries guy came and we shocked it with his boat a few years ago and by studying the scales the largemouth that were 4-5 years old were only 10-11 inches long.. we dont have any or enough cats big enough to eat a train load of 12 inch shad..

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Adding hybrid bass may not be a bad idea. They can't breed, so it would be a controlled population. If they can't get rid of the shad, or get rid of them too quickly, just go out and catch them to remove them. Your local DNR may have more information on this possibility and others as well.

19. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... didn't read close enough to realize the shad are that big. The hybrid bass won't really help much then. Back the the drawing board, but your DNR should still have some good info for you

20. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Go to www.oldphoneman.com. They have all the parts you need to get ya going. These will work in a pond, lake, river, etc.... I would check with your local people and see what is legal in your area and follow you local laws and regulations. I do not use a shocker as it is illegal in Texas. Just figured I'd try and help ya with the parts you need.