fish scales.digital or spring?

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by larry d. grady, Dec 29, 2009.

1. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    need opinions on tournament grade fish scales.i know yall have some.

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Norman, I use the Bill Dance 75 lb digital scale. It's orange. Tough, waterproof, display light, built in tape measure, large handle, and accurate. Has worked well for me. Haven't changed the battery yet in 3 years. I beleive they are around $40.

3. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I think digital all the way just make sure you don't have to send it off to get it calibrated

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    digital for sure.mine tore up after it went for a swim 5 or 6 times.gotta get another one.i had the rapala 50lb.they're water proof,but i can break anything.

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the digital scales are way better i think

6. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Call me "Old School" but I aint shucking my Chattilon Scales for nothing. They are very accurate & go to 100 lbs. They are big, kind of heavy, real classy & very water proof !!

Attached Files:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Weigh in your big catches! The most accurate digital scale in fishing, the Berkley Tec 100lb Digital Scale offers accuracy to 1/10th of 1%. It provides instant, precise and repeatable English or metric data.

Berkley Tec 100lb Digital Scale:
    • Exclusive two-sided display with backlight
    • Easy programming with one-button English/Metric conversion
    • Two, angled non-slip Softorx handles with hanging slot for weighing heavy fish
    • Free-swinging, over-sized 6mm stainless steel hook for big, active fish
    • Includes heavy-duty weatherproof fitted case with carry strap
    • Batteries included
    Assembly Required: No Model No.:TDS100Shipping Weight (in pounds):1.9 Product in Inches (L x W x H):8.5 x 2.0 x 8.5 Assembled in Country of Origin:USA and/or ImportedOrigin of Components:USA and/or ImportedWal-Mart No.:004573390

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Larry, tournaments come down to ounces, so you need a scale that reflects that. Digital scales give you readings down to the ounce, while spring scales do not.

Are you using these to weigh your own fish for personal notes, or are you planning to have a tournament?

If you are just wanting a "good weight" for your personal records, then the Boga Grip is a good spring loaded scale that never need batteries and it will hold the fish. It is not however your best choice for heavier fish since it can damage their jaw.

Thanks to Bowlerman, I found the 100lb Berkeley digital scales on clearance sale at Cableas.

9. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Santa brought me one of the Berkley Tec 100 and it all looks really nice even has culling feature if you do tournaments.
    All I need now is a big fish to weigh on it. Can read it from either side.

10. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Ebay has one of these for $89.99 with free shipping. Thought someone might want one.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Like everything some digitals are junk as well as some of the spring loaded scales are junk . Myself I would go digital to be able to weigh ounces without guessing . I also believe in you get what you pay for so a good digital might cost you a pretty penny , but be worth it in the long run . Waterproof is a must .

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Digitals... my opinion .

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have the Rapala 50LB Digital Scale, it has worked for me for quite a few years. The batteries only needed changing once but since I've moved to Va I catch quite a few fish over 50LBs. I also have a Boga Grip that weights up to 50LBs, its good for gripping and weighing the fish but I just like to look at the digital read out cause it has ounces. Monday I bought the Berkley Tech 100 for $89 at Greentop here in Richmond and this thing is nice. accurate as hell, has the memory and the culling feature for tourney's like the gentleman a few post above said you can save the average weights and store the weights in order its great. Only complaint is I wish it was good to 200LBs because I want that 100+ Cat like Radish but I dont wanna get caught not being able to weigh it

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Here is a nice scale. and its on my list to get things..

Pelouze 7710 Digital Hanging Scales

Hanging scales can be used in a variety of situations. These general purpose scales can be used for farming/agriculture, hunting, fishing, construction, HVAC or in a manufacturing facility. These scales are solidly constructed and can handle a lot of use. They offer both digital and mechanical hanging scales. These scales have heavy duty hooks, tare feature and weigh in both pounds and kilograms.

• 100 lb, 2oz Increments
    • 3-AA batteries included
    • LCD for easy viewing
    • Memory feature can store 4 previous weighings
    • Tare feature
    • Durable design
    • One hook is a locking hook for safety
    • Ideal for fishing, hunting, agriculture, industrial and general uses
    • Compact design (6" tall x 3 3/4" wide x 1 5/8" deep)
    • Great scale for weighing fish

15. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Digital for sure but I always keep the spring around for emergencies. Batteries dying. Berkley tech 100 pd/

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Both mechanical and digital have advantages and disadvantages. Sure easier to take a pic showing weight on scale with digital, and usually easier to hold the fish and see the readout. Can't deny the durability of high-quality mechanical scales. I have two Boga grips, a 15# I use for scaled fish, and a30# I use for catfish, both have performed flawlessly. Have been looking into a larger capacity scale, and believe the Chatillon IN-100 is the current leader. Battery powered devices eventually lead to frustration for me, and are commonly worthless after a technology change.

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    definitely a digital scale!!

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I like digital all the way(pun intended). the biggest problem to with spring scales is that humidity,moisture and even fine rust will throw them out of true. Also the springs can weaken over the years and will not be accurate,and will show a fish as being larger than it actually is(this may be to your benefit when bragging it up), but at a tournament you want to know exactly what you got,to the 1/2 oz or better. I also hate the boga style grips, I've witnessed two blues around the 20lb mark give a shake and break their lower jaw in half using these, I refuse to use them on fish that are being released.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Norman I think the Berkley TEC 100 Digital scales is one of the best to come along in a long time.

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I got one of the Berkley TEC 100 for Christmas it is a super nice scale. All I need now is a big fish to weigh on it.