fish sauce

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you guys ever seen or heard or ate this?

i just seen it on bizzare foods.

its made of fish that sits in clay pots covered in the sun for a year. then poured into a filter vat the slowly over 20 or so hours drips through the filter into vats and is bottled. :crazy:

weird stuff. wonder if i can find it here? im game for alot more stuff nowdays. this is wild.

http://www.american.edu/TED/vietnam-fish-sauce.htm

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    A lot depends on whether you have a large Asian population in your area. Out in my neck of the woods, we have Asian supermarkets, so the fish sauce is readily available.

If you just want to sample it, your best bet is to see whether there are any Vietnamese restaurants near you. I'd suggest trying it with pho, Vietnamese noodle soup. It's very salty, so use sparingly.

-- Rich

P.S. If you buy a bottle for yourself, be sure to keep it tightly sealed when not in use.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've definitely heard of fish sauce, and have seen recipes calling for its use, but I didn't know how it was made.

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I haven't got that hungry yet.
    PEEDEE CAT

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thats the first time I have heard of that I agree I dont think im that hungry to eat it yet it dont seem like it could be good for your health if it set in the sun for a year it would have to have something wrong with it with the decay and stuff

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    We have it in stores in my area, never tried it though. I heard its good with rice and pasta.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no i dont think they would let em sell it and bring it here if it wasnt good. i didnt get the whole but caught the main details of it. ya sure sounds like something you would not want to eat but who knows.

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    you'll find it in the asian markets. "squid" brand is a common brand here in the USA. a tiny bit goes a long way- absolutely essential if you plan on doing much asian cooking. its not something you soak an eggroll with like some may do with soy sauce. its got a unique flavor all its own and yes, it does stink if you take a big sniff right out of the bottle.

some of the bigger mega-marts might or might not carry it. not to be confused with hoisin sauce or oyster sauce. those two are thick pasty type sauces, fish sauce is thin, clear, watery with an amber tint to it.

a few shakes in a bowl of pho is good. (pho- pronounced fuh, rhymes with duh???) a key flavor in pad thai, and we like a bit of it in miso soup too.

soy sauce... the bean is named for the sauce not the other way around. its not made really any differently than fish sauce, just out of soy beans.

dont be scared of their food. their culture has been around a couple thousand years more than ours... ya think they may have figured out whats good and whats not??? hahahahahahha go explore your asian grocery store and dont be afraid to ask questions. is how we learned. and one more thing.... all that stuff you find on the chinese buffets??? thats not asian food. calling that asian food is the same thing as calling taco bell "mexican".

much much better is out there.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no sir. i love that show bizzare foods. i would love to hook up with andrew and hit a contenet. by the way its tues. should come on at 12am on travel.

some things i wouldnt try. like he ate baked maggots and grilled trantula. aint going there. but most i would. like he says.IF IT LOOKS GOOD<<<< EAT IT! notice my signature?:big_smile:

he was in bejing and then veitnam last two i watched. tonight may be a new one. hes the one who inspired me to try new things like chicken hearts, horseradish, wich i just planted in garden. i would love to try some asain dishes like he gets to.

the fish sauce. he asked a vietnamise restraunt owner to sample 3 kinds. there were two lesser brands and one top of the line in area. all hand made and bottled. he used his pinkey finger. sampled all three. andrew gave a 3 fingers behind his back to show the good one. the fella said the first two were stronger and the third was mild and much better. bingo. thats what they said. that good sauce is much milder.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    OH MY! fermented shark in iceland. the shark they catch is full of some acid and eaten fresh can make you vomit blood. they spent decades trying to make it edible. they do something to it and put it in wooden boxes. that was a secret. wouldnt show that. it ferments for 6-8 weeks and is cut into 10-12 lb chunks. hung in rafters in the breese for another couple months. then he selected a nice one that was ready. sliced and ate right off the hook.

said it smelled like ammonia. taste wasnt bad first one. second try he said is wasnt for beginners,lol. and they were in jeans and reg shirts. not winter. no refridgeration.:eek:oooh:

this guy had 60 sharks hanging. he does it for many folks.

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    we've been fans of zimmern for a long time and of course are avid watchers of his show. we used to be big fans of boudain too but he started drifting away from focusing on food and more into his quasi-celebrity status. i do HIGHLY suggest his book "kitchen confidential" by anthony boudain. is a must every foodie should read. we used to be big fans of the food network too but more and more find ourselves watching the food shows on the travel channel. seems the food network has gotten so "dumbed down" that its hard to find much in the way of techniques or ingredients weve not seen a dozen times before on that channel.

as much as i hate living in the DFW area ill have to give it credit in regards to the food scene. pick an ethnicity.... is a market here that caters to it. we literally have a global market at our disposal. if youre a fan of alton brown's show "good eats", that mega store he gets the cool stuff at "whole foods" we have some here but is another chain called "central market" we like even better. there is a norweigan market by the wife's office that carries that really stinky fish in a can and ill bet i could get some of that shark too but i dont think ill put that on my list of things to try. the asian markets carry the durian fruit- bordain loves it but zimmern wont eat it.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya ive seen the fruit one (smelly feet fruit) and to think of some other stuff hes had. it must be bad.:smile2:

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ok ,ok , thats it :smile2: me want hamburger :big_smile::cool2:

16. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    my R key must be going out... anthony bourdain is how its spelled.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I eat some stuff that most wont. Menudo, Chorizo "real chorizo is jowles", Raw fish and Seafood, Ive tried snails, Fish brains, Fish eyes, Wont go for reproductive organs, I draw the line there. Ive had rattler and a few other things that I cant remember right now. If your afraid to try it break out the hot peppers. :wink:

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Seen a lot of it back during my Army days back in the 60's. Didn't like it then and don't now.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Nah! I'll stick with the ribeye steak and potatoes. Hamburger and fries. And a good OL' slice of apple pie!! And YES I prefer using a knife and fork, not Chop Sticks!! Just my opinion!!:cool2::big_smile:

Mark..

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    not me. i like new things.

when i was growing up it was catsup only.

meat and cheese on tacos. nothing else.

about 18 i tried salad dressing for the first time. RANCH is the bomb. now ill eat most and love french on pizza and breadsticks.

started eating mayo about 19. tried horseradish for the first time last year. growing it in the garden now. and top my tacos with lettuce avacodo. wich i just started eating 3 years ago. jalapenos or habenaros sour cream, diced green peppers, tomato if its diced small and all the hot sauce i can dround it in.

love mangos ,kiwi fruit. about 2 years ago.

some things i cant taks still are mustard and pickle and raw tomato. but ill eat an onion plain.

im a food adventurer. ate chicken hearts not long ago for the first time. love mussels on the 1/2 shell. heck no. give me something different. burgers are a rarety for me. to plain. but last time i made a big venison burger it was topped with butter grilled jalapenos and onions. and horseradish sauce. yum.

p.s. i eat with a my fingers. asain or american. like the sauce as a licker when im done.