Fish Sampling 2009

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Petsche, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Did anyone else see the sampling results yet? Branched Oak looks promising. I just never know where to go there.

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    How big do them channels get in branched oak?..H eard theres a 80lb channels in there..lmao...I had a little arugment with that guy..He said there caught daily..I sadi there blues and he instist there channels..lmao..I would doubt a 25lb channel though

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Somene caught a pretty big one (channel) out of there this summer, or maybe it was a flathead. But I wouldn't doubt if there are a few 50 pound blues in there. I'd just like to catch an old blue or a big channel out of Mac this year. I saw that the interstate pond by Hershey has the biggest population of big bass in the state, or close to it for size. I'll be hitting that a few times this summer.

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    them flathead in branched oak come from the shocking they do on the river.... why else would the state need to bring big tanks in the trucks... i know from a good source they do it

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Nice thing about being the king of the river it's not hard to regrow your population. Them flatheads will be just fine. To bad they couldn't bring some of them over to Lake Mac. I still believe that Mac has the world record channel in it!!! Plenty of feeder fish for them to feed on.

6. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am just looking for a good spot around Lincoln to catch "decent" sized channels, maily because my son goes with me. We fished East Twin a lot last year but the action was slow.

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    crappie fishin i was told is suposed to be good at twin lakes...
    i thought the only thing at mac was walleye.... lol....
    plz leave my river fish where they are all i ask unless they are them
    stupid asian carp ;-)

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    From what I heard last year. Wagon Train is the cream of the crop for nice channies. They had like 6 cat tourney's there last year and a lot of fish were caught. If I was still living there I would be going to bluestem and conastoga. And of course don't forget about Salt creek by the university for another good spot.

9. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where do you go by the University? Can you legally fish there?

10. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    If you drive south over oak creek and look to the east you will see where there is an elevation drop in the creek. that's the spot and yes it's legal. It's legal to fish on any body of water in NE as long as its not privately owned.

11. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am guessing that spot is just west of the waste treatment plant, correct?

12. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    yes it's one of my favorite places in Lincoln to fish

13. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I will have to try that area out. I drive by that area alot and always think about it but never really know where to park or how to approach getting there.
    Thanks a lot for the advice though. To me, fishing the river is a lot easier than the reservoirs.

14. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well maybe you'll have to go to Beatrice next summer to do some set line fishing. Also that spot there at the state park is pretty steep. I don't know that I would bring a kid with me there unless they are a teenager. (And only because of the terrain). I'm going to try to go out to the Blue and The MO a few times this summer.
    If I was to take a kid fishing I like the lake that is straight south of the Denton bait shop. I think it's conastoga. I used to take my kid to the spot right there just about before you get to the damn. Try and it and let me know. Twin lakes is AWESOME for crappie.

15. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We fish Conestoga a lot. Lots of carp and little cats in there. We fished East Twin the most last year. We saw a lot of people catching crappie...we got one good cat out of there.
    I made a bunch of set lines last year. I hope I get a chance to try them out this year.

16. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    I went all over Conestoga with my depth finder and hardly saw any fish on the screen. It's a nice park but the fishing is a waste of time. Out of 5 times fishing there never caught a thing. Wagon Train or stagecoach would be way better. Pawnee has some good channel cats and a few flatheads but limited bank access unless you get a camping spot on the bank.

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    All i know is that it is a crappy deal when someone takes your big fish from your home waters and transports them to someplace else because they think others deserve them more,BS. If they want to fish them they can come to where the fish are,not bring the fish to them, don't have much good fishing where you live and think I'm wrong,well tough,we give up alot of things that you all take for granted to live where we do,and have axccess to good fishing,move closer to good fishing and you'll be pissed when the state decides to to rob your meager resources to give them to others. I've seen them do it before and I know it happens,and it's still BULL#@$T

18. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    They aint takin the fish to let others fish for them cuz they dont have them where they are to fish. They take the fish to put somewhere that needs more predator fish of that species to control other species from takin over the habitat and over populating.

just like their doin with deer hunting they divided up the state and offer more permits in one section then they do the others to draw more hunters there to control the population of the deer. you cant bribe a fish to swim to a lake to eat a buffet... so they move them there.

the river has alot of fish in it because its connected to alot of things.. the fish in there dont stay right there where you fish some do some dont they travel some could be from down south some up north but they move studies have been done.. that cat you caught may have been caught by a guy in IL and released and swam here for you to catch.

and im willing to bet you dont live where you do cuz of the river. bettin it had something to do with work family economics and such and the river was just a bonus.

but then again if we're gonna complain about takin fish from one place and puttin it in another they could just stop and ppl that wanted to fish for those fish could just all come to your hole and then you could be pissed about all the litter noise and crowding at your hole.

tho some of the things NGP do dont make sense to ppl theres a reason for it. theres upsides and downsides to everything. just remember things could be worse.

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    as for the fish sampling... wagontrain is supposed to have the 2nd most cats over 24" in the state.. although..you gotta understand theres just channels in there.. and.. if they did amount of nets per acre of water WT would get this many and say Mac would get more.. maybe they do the same at every lake? that would mean 6 dips at a small lake would produce more then a larger one.. or maybe they got lucky and hit a good spot when dippin the net? dont get me wrong theres cats in there.. ive fished the heck outta that place year before last tho and got squat.. last year went 1 time and filled a stringer of 2-4 pounders.. and next 3 trips got squat again.

Stagecoach i fished and get skunked 2 outa 3 times then again ive snapped lines on monsters in there too.

bluestem they say aint that good... but last year i pulled channels from 6" to 12 lbs and a 26 lb flatty so...

Olive creek is one i believe is UP and COMING... made 3 trips there last year all in Dec got 3 bites one each time and pulled 3 channels out of there all over 8 lbs so...

Holmes Lake is another... LOTS of nice cats in there..

Conestoga... TOOO MANY PPL!!
    Pawnee.. i consider a trash lake.. dirty dirty dirty

Branched oak.. PPL PPL PPL.. tho i did find some holes... a channel over 9 lbs and a blue over 12.. no flats tho... found that hole too late in the year.

Twin Lakes.. That there is a walleye and Crappie haven! and the channies are good too.. but you gotta find the right hole off the dam.

Sampling results?? i put little faith it ...

bownero likes this.
  20. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Hey Steve you do an awesome job posting what you caught and where. Do you take notes that include the weather, BP, and all that. Or just go off what you've found to be good? How often do you switch spots during the night or do you just sit in one hole and just wait.
    Anyways good job on your postings very informative. We need to try the blue again this year. Except next to each other this time. Maybe you can help me paddle down that f**ker. LOL