Fish Report Lake Wheeler/ Confussed

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by billNpam, Jul 9, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    The wife and I went fishing on 5 July on Lake Wheeler we launched (Cowford landing) early Thursday morning and caught 24 small bass (10 inch-14 inch) casting at schooling shad hitting the top of the water with rat trap and silver spoon.
    We came off water by 10 am. We went back that evening around 7pm and fished until after midnight and got skunked on the catfish we fished with gills, liver and worms. I guess the question is the bass was on fire and the catfish would not hit anything. The weather pattern did not change all except a little more wind in the evening. Water surface temp was 83 degrees both morning and night. We fished a drop off for the Tennesse river that went from 10' to 32' that evening. I figured there was shad in the area because we saw them there that morning. So in my little mind there should of been catfish there.
    Any Suggestions?

2. kimmysan0

kimmysan0 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Hello Bill, Try drifting out from creek mouths that feed in the west end of the lake(near the dam). Skipjack steaks are hard to beat for bait. There are some really nice fish in that lake. I know this advice is good for fall, but it being mid-summer might change things. Hope this helps. And goodluck

3. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    Bill,

Been having some of the same issues. I've found a couple pretty good holes, that didn't hold fish last year, that have them this year. The holes I was guaranteed to catch a few last year are holdin' squat apparently. The fish I have been catchin' have all been in 25 to 35' of water in holes that drop from 12' to 18' and pick back up to that same depth range on the downstream side of the holes. The most consistant hole has been about 50 to 80 yards out from the bluff just downstream of the flint river on the morgan county side of the river. There are two green channel cans here and the hole is just upstream, maybe 100 yards from the downstream can. Confusing aint' it... :) I've picked up two to four fish everytime I've hit this hole, as long as there is current running. Hit them on livers, gizzards/hearts, shiners and worms, but not consistant on any of those baits. ;-)

Mike

4. Chestdeep

Chestdeep New Member

State:
    Jackson County Alabama
    Things up around the Northeast corner of the state have been slow for me this year so far. Many of the areas that held fish last year at this time are just not doing anything. I still think the cold snap we had has messed things up.

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Guys come to Gunterville and we will have a ball!! PM me if you want my # I am going Friday anyone is welcome to come Even if we have to take turns in my lil boat!!!We will put some fish in your freezer!!

Last weekend we had a 14 lb avg with one in the boat of 42 and some that we got up and couldnt get in the boat!! We are jug fishin and RNR to!!

6. Chestdeep

Chestdeep New Member

State:
    Jackson County Alabama
    Hey Bama Cat,,I might have to take you up on the offer,,I never have done any fishing around Guntersville but sure would like to give it a try sometime.

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Chestdeep PM sent 2 you bro!!