Fish present but not biting on Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Jan 30, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    While fishing this past weekend at lake moultrie in the channel North of Marker 53. There were a ton of Catfish in the middle of huge clouds of Baitfish. I was fishing with fresh blue back herrin. I was drift fishing but couldn't get them to bite for anything. Wind was blowing out of the west. We butterflied our herrin.. But we couldn't buy a bite while fishing in the middle of them.... Has anyone else experienced this. I used catfish scent to rub on my hands before ever toucing the bait.

Any suggestions..

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From what i have experienced although catfish do feed rarely in the colder months you almost have to but the bait right in front of their faces and give them time. Did you try to just still fish, and lay that bait right by their faces? Were you using the same baitfish that was in the school below? Or simply those guys just didnt want to bite. Well keep at em. They'll come around sooner or later

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Dynamite is the easiest solution.:lol: Seriously me and probably everybody that looks at their depth finder goes through this.I could name off 1000 reasons why they want bite but sometimes never figure out why.One thing to do to narrow it down is if you are drifting threw them and they want bite, then anchor down and wait and see if they would rather eat at their convenience and if you where anchorin and they want bite try to drift threw to get a reaction strike.Sometimes a simple change of baits will do the trick.Sometimes the arches are not always catfish even though they may be on or near the bottom.Sometimes they are just plain and simple not gonna eat until they get good and ready.Sometimes you just have to scratch your head, go home and think about what you can do different while the day you just had remains a mystery.

4. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I've been seeing the same thing lately in N.C. on lake Tillery, big arches stacked in one area but slow to bite. A lot of times I do better when the fish are scattered a little, several in a big area.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think sometimes, those schools of fish are hanging together, feeding on the big schools of baitfish, and they just don't have to work very hard to get their dinner. Sometimes, slowing your drift speed way down, anchoring up like Chris said, or using float rigs set at depths near the bait schools will work. Gomer caught some doing just this a week or two back. The fishes metabolism is naturally slower in the winter, and they don't need as much food; however, when the water gets cold, and shad die off quicker, they will gorge themselves, and it requires very little effort. Locating those bait schools and big fish near structure seems to help, especially tight line fishing, or anchoring over the schools.
    Just my uneducated opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the pros 'round here. :smile2:

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I have had that happen while drifting several times, not so much as schools of cats but marking several over a very short area and you can throw every thing you have in the boat at them and they just want bite. I have started puting a float rig out on each side of the boat down between 20-35 ft and have medium sucess getting them tjo come up off the bottom. I was trying to see if I could catch a stray striper just for fun on the line several weeks ago and 5 of the 6 cats I caught were on my floats, so go figure. :roll_eyes:
    Some people don't like using floats, but the way I look at it a fish pulls the same with or without a cork on the line. :tounge_out:

clicker is going off gota go

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    How do you know they were catfish? Maybe stripers, or gar, or infant lake monsters. :big_smile:

The odds of them hitting your bait are one in however many fish are in that school. Not too good.

I always do better when the fish are still below the schools and they have not attacked yet.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Something a buddy of mine showed me that otherwise Id never had done was if you are drifting in a area where you know there are fish, marking them on your sonar as well as baitfish, then keep at it. Drift it over and over and sooner or later they will bite. We made two drifts over this one area with no bites.......then on the third drift of the same area we hit eight fish. Id have never done this own my own, but it sure worked !!

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Often, there are stripers and gars, etc in there (maybe Nellie, too:wink: ), and I do better when they are below the schools, too. Since they haven't attacked yet, I guess they may be a little hungrier. LOL I think Zivetor was referring to the first scenario, where they are already feeding, and mixed in and around the bait. Those odds are always against me, so I'm asking for help, too. I saw exactly what he's referring to a couple of weeks back, could hardly get anything to bite. Wonder if it would help to drag a chum bag along the bottom???? :0a1:

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Try looking for broken up schools of bait. Actively feeding gamefish will shatter schools. If there is a carpet of bait 4 feet thick all the way down a channel the fish often will be in a negative mode when you see them stacked like cord wood. It is had to know exactly what kind of fish they are. A man told me once that scaled fish throw off bigger sonar returns than non scaled fish :big_smile: If you can see fish mixed through the bait and the bait pattern broken that is a GOOD sign!

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That is alot of great advice I would have to say better to fishing and not catching tha working.LOL

12. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Man,

Is there a rehab for the Catfishinman website.. Talk about addicting.. I Love this place..

Lenny