FISH ON BAIT COMPANY

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by IDODIKES, Feb 22, 2008.

1. IDODIKES

IDODIKES New Member

State:
    missouri
    HAS ANY ONE USED THE SALT WATER HERRING BAITS IN THE FRESH WATER? HOW DOES IT PERFORM?

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    id like to know my self

3. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    I tried herring had no luck same spot caught 20 on skipjack and catapa worms

4. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    went one night caught 35# on green label blue back herring,went back with skipjack and caught nothing the next night,so it all depends on the night.

So what is the differents? Salt water has nothing to do with it, herring is herring,and skipjack's are herring.Oh by the way shad came from salt water.I heard is works on big blue kitty's.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is always nice for you to carry a variety of baits with you as you never know which bait is going to be the one they want that day...If you don't have it...Well really don't make much matter what kind of rod&reel combo,what kind of boat,or other equipment you have to find them...So just remember carry a variety of bait and try a few...The salt water herring does work for the blue and channel,Very High blood and oil content...I have no experience with the Flats using it...I hope this helps...

6. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    It's always tough to know why the fish hit one time and not the next. Mocat and I went to Mark Twain one night and caught 144lbs of kitty's in one night rod & reeling. I thought we hit the honey hole. Caught Blue's, Channels and even a nice Flathead. What a night! Went back the next weekend and the pole never even bounced. As the old saying goes, that's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'. I agree, an ssortment of bait is the best way to go. I usually take both Green Label and Skipjack if I have any. You never know what they'll want.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    The herring should be a very good bait for the same reason that skipjack is, lots of blood and oil. Should be a nice bait to keep around for when other bait is hard to find or if ya don't have the time to go catch bait and just want to fish for awhile. And compared to the prices that skipjack can go for the price aint bad either.

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I had a chance to meet with Keith from Fish On Bait company when I was home on Emergency leave in Ga. All their bait is top notch, and will meet the needs for many who require bait on demand.

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    does it become mushy after you freeze it? I am going to go out on a limb and say it probably does?

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I believe the bait is purchased frozen and each tray should be kept frozen until ready to be used. That way you don't have to re-freeze.

Just about any baitfish will turn mushy upon its second thaw; the cell walls will have been compromised by the microscopic formation of ice crystals.

However, I've read that frogs can literally survive a deep freeze because they manage the levels of sugar in their cells (maybe frogtose? ok, bad joke). When water with a negligible sugar content freezes, the "sharp" formations of microscopic ice crystals tend to become more dull and rounded, and therefore less damage occurs at the cellular level.

11. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Get off that limb! The fish are flash frozen almost immediately. The fish are really nice and firm. I poke a hole in packages when I get them out to go fishing and put them in my cooler to go fishing. I keeped them iced too. I do this so the vacuum seal doesn't suck blood out of the fish if they thaw a little. I then pull them out, cut off the tail and slit the gut sack, and hook em up. They aren't all mushy like shad at all after they are froze.

12. Keith@fishon

Keith@fishon New Member

State:
    Florida
    You speak true. Now this is the key - if you keep the bait frozen in the freezer you are fine, but once you take it out to use, you need to pop that bag just as Gup said. Use a pocket knife, fillet knife, key or nail. Whatever. Just make sure that the seal is broken before the thaw, or the vacuum will hold and that pressure will press the fish into mush.

Another issue is when the bait goes from frozen-to-thawed-to-refrozen. In terms of a re-freeze, I have spoken with customers who have used half a tray while fishing, and then they have re-frozen the remainder when they were done with fishing.

*IMPORTANT* This only works if you keep your bait on ice in a cooler on the boat - let them thaw completely and you are asking for trouble. Keep them on ice and they remain frozen, so no cellular breakdown occurs. This is technically because the fish has not had a chance to thaw while on the boat. Zip lock the fish when you get back and make sure you use it within the next few weeks in order to keep it fresh.

Hope this helps!

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Keith, not sure if you remeber me I live in Los Angeles. I went to two diffrent Walmart one in Santa Fe Springs the other in Downey. Neither carried frozen bait. I am still very intrested in trying your herring.

Jaime

14. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I am going to have to get some of the bait and try it out! I really don't have easy access to bait so this might be a good option soon as I can find some!!!!!!!!!!!

15. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    what part of missouri are you from mert.

16. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    If you like to take a lot of bait you might consider taking dry ice. That way you
    can take bait as you needed it. keep the rest frozen and can put it back in the freezer this is what a lot of tournament guys do.

17. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is a good idea as sometimes I don't get to fish for very long and that would reduce wasted bait!

18. Keith@fishon

Keith@fishon New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jaime, I have some good news for you: first regarding the Anchovies... you can find them in the following Walmarts listed below. Keep in mind there are plenty more locations which carry our bait, but these are the closest to Santa Fe Springs that I could confirm carrying our Fish On Bait anchovies:

1) Wal-Mart (626) 854-1166
    17150 East Gale Avenue
    City Of Industry, CA 91745

2) Wal-Mart Supercenter (626) 814-2235
    3250 Big Dalton Avenue
    Baldwin Park, CA 91706

3) Wal-Mart (714) 529-0596
    2595 East Imperial Hwy
    Brea, CA 92821

4) Wal-Mart (310) 782-6022
    19503 South Normandie Ave
    Torrance, CA 90503

5) Wal-Mart (626) 359-7708
    1600 S Mountain Avenue
    Duarte, CA 91010

6) Wal-Mart (626) 339-4161
    1275 North Azusa Avenue
    Covina, CA 91722

Second good news - you will soon see our Green Label herring in those very same Wal-Mart store locations! That's right, it's a newly approved product for them, and it will be delivered to them in the coming 2 weeks. Just give it time, but you will have all the herring you need VERY soon.

Jaime, if you could do me a big favor. Let me know what you think after you have tried our products... If it works really well for you, please tell your friends, neighbors, and fellow SoCal catfishermen to buy this product because I promised a whole lot of people at Wal-Mart that quite a few people just like you could use good bait out there and that it would probably fly off the (frozen) shelves.

19. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have found that of all frozen bait that I have used is that the herring I have gotten from Fish On is never mushy and it is easy to tell they put a lot of care in their processing, I won't be without it.

20. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Our wal marts don't carry any frozen baits of any kind here in arkansas. Can we order it online???