Fish oil extraction question

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Novaxs, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Using the posts here i have extracted the liquids from about 8lbs of mackerel. My method of extraction was the salt layer method. I can't find the original thread that it was in. I cut the mackerel up in chunks and layered them between the salt in a 2 gallon drink cooler (it's the type of cooler you just put the drink in, like the gatorade ones used in the major league sports). After a week of sitting on my patio in the sun i drained it via the spout. I filled up a 32oz container with the so called "liquid gold".

Now the only issue i have is that it's very runny, more like water then oil. Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce it down to something thicker? I don't really want to add anything to it. I just want to concentrate it more. I have already tried to let the water evaporate off and that is not working.

Anyone ever tried to boil off the water in the liquid? Would this cook the oil? You know how when you boil water and the condensation forms on the lid? You think i could just stand there and pour off the collected water drops till it thickens? I am looking to make a thick oil to squirt on my bait from a squeeze bottle.

The only other option i see is adding a thickener like flour or something, but i am more interested in creating a thick oil than a dipbait.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Pour it in something wide as opposed to tall. The greater surface area will make it evaporate faster. Might even think about using a heat lamp.

Don't know if boiling will affect it or not, but I imagine it would. If you try it, you'll probably want to do it outside.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ya dont need to cut the bait up makes it thinner just layer them whole & drain it every day a little until your jar is full......If you let it set a week before you started that is why it is so thin......But i bet it will work also...Just put it in a spray bottle & spray it on your bait..I made it with shad & skips:wink:

4. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I will definitely be doing it outside. My friend has a BBQ with a decent sized side burner. I thought about using a large baking pan for what you described. I am probably going to break it up into 8oz portions and try a few things. At least then i wont waste it all if the boiling goes bad.

I was also thinking about using a double boiler to keep it from burning.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ben, that was an article I did for the library back in 2003 I believe.

Tom hit it on the head.

To be honest, the technique is now outdated.

Based on your man hours involved, its cheaper just to order some bulk oil from somebody like Fish On Bait Company.

Many of your Bait Enhancers originate from a source such as this.

Add Anise, some garlic, and call it Liquid Shad.

6. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Thanks for the info Paul. I am going to go check that company out. As much as i like catching mackerel for my own bait, i really just want a scent that i can just have in the tackle box. Unfortunately the scent selection for a mackerel scent seems to be slim.... I'll go check them out, it may make my bait making life easier lol!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben have you thought about using the mackerel extract as an injector into the bait? If its thin enough it should work.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great tips fellas! soak some weinerdogs in it mmm mmmmm