Fish Oil capsules, Has anyone used as bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by jeremiad, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    The doctor started me taking fish oil capsules every day, claiming that they are proven effective for colitis problems. They seem to help, by they way!

Then I read where shark oil in Preparation H as well as fish oil in general are good fish attractants. That got me to thinking...

Fish oil capsules are relatively inexpensive; you can get a large bottle of plain capsules rather cheap. Now, do they work? How would you use them in fishing?

I plan on trying them out, but haven't had a chance to hit the water lately. I thought that one of you might have some experience in this area. Thanks!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish oil? That's interesting, Joel. I had ulcerative colitis from 1968 to 1983, when they removed my colon. I would have loved to find something that would actually give day to day relief; you wouldn't believe some of the things they did to me to try to control it. Metamucil, steroids, sulfa.....I checked on one pill they started giving me, and the side effects were so bad that it was a tossup whether your liver or your brain dissolved first. And their 'diets' were a joke: half the things they said I could eat tore me up; and half the things they said I couldn't eat didn't bother me at all. I even found that when I had a bad flareup, I could eat some pizza with a moderate amount of red pepper on it, and stop the flareup. I told the doc, and he called me a liar to my face. Quite a few years later, I read of a 'recent discovery' that moderate amounts of red pepper could be beneficial to people with ulcerative colitis.

3. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm taking them too, as part of the wife's latest health kick, but I didn't think they were actually natural fish oil - more of a processed combination of stuff...

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Wow, jtrew, it sounds like you had it rough. My problems are not nearly as advanced.

You are right about the red pepper! Moderate amounts of the hot stuff doesn't bother me at all ("moderate" to me is anything that isn't flaming when it leaves the bottle!). I have to watch out for greasy foods and too much dairy products though.

Right now, I have everything regulated using enteric-coated fish oil and Jarro-Dophilus EPS pro-biotics.

Anyway, it looks like I have some experimenting to do on the fishing scene. If it works, I'll have to post an article! :cool2:

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I was taking them as a mood leveler. Seemed to work.
    Bill

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, when it comes to that, fish oil has almost always been a great mood leveler for me, too. But I've never taken it in capsules; just still in a fish fighting to keep from coming into the boat, or onto the bank.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive been taking them for years, that Omega-3 something heart stuff. never thought about using them for fishing. I think I saw some at the dollar store, just might have to give it a try. Thanks

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike you might want to take a second look at the dollar store capsuals. CHINA?