Fish oil attractant

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by confederate, May 4, 2006.

1. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have read a few articles about various uses for fish oil, I have been toying with the idea
    of making my own fish oil and making it from various species of fish. testing each oil
    individually to see which would be the most benefit in my catfishing endeavors. I have read
    articles about trotliners in the early 1900's that would soak the mainline and trots of
    their trotline in fish oil or some other type of attractant to enhance their catches. At
    this time the most people that used trotlines were commercial fishers that were making a
    living out of catching fish. I just read an article from a man that was 88 years old and he
    was describing trotlining with his father and his (at that time aging) grandfather, he
    described his father soaking the mainline in various things such as: Oil of Rhodium, Anise
    Oil, and PURE Fish Oil. Also he described that they would soak the mainline in one
    "attractant" and the trots in something else. That got me to thinking which could be
    dangerous in itself, I can take a few different species of fish and process me some fish oil
    from each different species and see if there is something that would enhance my fishing
    endeavors. I am not interested in using it on a trotline so much but in the articles that I
    have read they have talked about the quality Flathead catfish that they would catch. I
    wonder if you set out limblines baited with for example Goldfish and you soaked the Line of
    the limbline in Bream oil that was gathered from bream if it would enhance the cat to take
    it where it might not have otherwise? Or if a certain type of oil say from Bass, Crappie,
    Carp, Etc. would cause a Flathead to show preferance no matter what type of live bait is on
    the hook? What are y'alls thought on this? I am interested in what everyone thinks and I'll
    be sure and document and post my process step by step.....I've got a killer idea on how to
    disperse the Oil/Scent that I'll discuss later.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're interested, there used to be an article in our library about how to extract oil from skipjack. If it didn't get transferred to this new site, just holler.

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah Jerry thanks I've got it. I had to reregister on this new site it didn't carry me over and I messaged the Powers to be but never got a response. I was Nightcrawler247. Oh well still here thats all that matters.

4. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I made a oil drip dispensor this morning out of 1 1/2 PVC pipe I put a solid cap on the bottom and a threaded cap on top, I had a 1/8 air valve from a aquarium pump that I put in the solid cap end, the valve is adjustable I can even turn it off. I filled it with water and it worked for a few minutes and stopped I then relized it didn't have a vent so I drilled 2 1/8th holes in the sides of the threaded cap and it works like a charm (with water) gonna go to the dollar store and see about picking up a cheap bottle of cod liver oil to try in it next.....

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I use cod liver oil and it works for me.

6. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How do you use the Cod liver oil?

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Put it in a sray bottle and spray the bait.

8. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Picked up some Cod Liver Oil yesterday and thought I would test my drip dispenser with the oil before I carried it to the water and it works but not as well as I want, after filling the dripper about half full at 3 pm I placed it over a Mason jar to see how much it would drip overnight, with the valve I have on the drip end all the way open it would only drip a drop about every 15 minutes or so at that rate it would last for weeks when full. I'm going to try to modify the valve where it will drip almost constantly, if I can't modify this valve I may have to find one alittle larger in diameter. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress....

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Someone I used to fish with last year was using a store bought concoction of "blass bass oil" dripped onto his nightcrawlers, and he was reeling in cats left and right. I've tried sardine oil but not found it very effective.

10. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am setting eveything up right now Allen to make my own pure fish oil, I am just experimenting with the Cod Liver Oil. I hope over the coarse of this summer I will have containers with pure Carp, Bream, Gar, Suckers, Drum, and whatever else I can get oil out of. HaHa When it comes to catfish experimenting I'll use 'bout anything except the oil outta my diesel truck....

11. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    . I have read articles about trotliners in the early 1900's

I am not interested in using it on a trotline so much but in the articles that I
    have read they have talked about the quality Flathead catfish that they would catch.

I wonder if the time didn't have a lot to do with the quality

12. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back then there wasn't all the exotic materials we have today, so bein that they were either trying to make a living catching and selling fish or trying to feed there family during the great depression they had to develop an edge so to speak so they could almost insure that they would have a catch, so they soaked the mainline which was cotton or hemp, and the trots in different oils scents to attract the fish. With todays technology exotic metals and materials, I feel that we have overlooked some of the tried and true methods of our past. I am not doing it like they did in the early 1900's but I'm adding a modern day twist and just experiment and see if it actually will make a difference in the quantity, and/or Quality of fish that I catch. I got the drip dispencer fixed today where it is functioning the way I think it should, it is set-up in the back yard right now dripping into a gallon pickle jar, I am guaging it to see exactly how long it will drip with the canister full. I hope next weekend to actually put it on the water up stream of a limbline and see if that line attracts more fish...Thats what is so fun about this hobby you can experiment and if it fails then you still gained knowledge, You know what not to do.......God Bless the USA!!!!!

13. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I find your fish oil ideas interesting and hope you continue to keep us posted, as I will continue to follow your thread.
    My earlier post was itended to say that there may have been more large cats in the early 1900's and thus more large catchs, but come to think of it, that was a time of intense commercial hunting and fishing. I know we have a lot more deer, turkey etc. today, and maybe more large cats too. I realy don't know.

14. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well you know Mobow it's like this I ain't sure we got more deer now than there was in say 1950 but there are subdivisions going up on every parcel of land big enough to buid a couple of houses, and all the clearing that has been done for this has made the deer more visible and vulnerable. I don't know if the growth rate has increased but I do know the land has diminished.I'm not sure if the catfish population is as good, or if it is better than it was in the early 1900's, I would like to think and hope that it is better due to the conservation and catch and release but you never know the true statistics in todays world. I like to experiment with the things that worked back when except using modern day equiptment if you know what I mean. I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke don't fix it but some of the old ways have fallen to the wayside, and one reason might be that some of them Don't work, but experimentation and a desire to make a better CAT trap is what keeps everything evolving....In my opinion ....Thanks for your reply

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cool! you never know, some of us may be intirested in buyin some from you!

16. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    i use a mixture of cod liver oil and that jarred garlic juice you get at grocery stores if that helps.

17. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes thanks, every idea counts, while experimenting I will try 'bout anything that is feisable. If I may ask Where do you fish? (describe the area) and Do you have a boat? Fish On is what I like to say.....73 de Tony