fish ladders in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by thomcat, Sep 14, 2006.

1. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    pennsylvania is gettin ready to pass the fish ladder act,, which means they are gunna impliment fish ladders all up and down the susquehannah and other rivers,, yeah, im so happy

2. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    great....only it takes a long time for the fish to learn the tricks on how to work the ladder.I am near the ladder near the Lehigh and Delaware junction.It does take them forever to learn the tricks.But it is a Giant step in the right direction

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    What are fish ladders?

Ken

4. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    A fish ladder is a passage way for fish to get above dams.In the susquehanna,there is now one on every dam.Due to the american shad run restoration efforts.

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I thought they were going to make it a law where you had to have a ladder on the side of your boat so the fish could climb into your boat? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the reply.
    I had never heard of a fish ladder?

Ken

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Do you actually realize what this means?!! That the yearly shad runs will come back!! The Rail Road Dammed off their run in the 1880's and I guess the fishin was world class in the Pine Creek Valley then! I'm so Excited. I'll teach them lil' buggers myself if I have to! LOL More muskelunge and pike...OH BOY!! woo- Hooo!!!!!!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats a real good thing for you guys , that means more food in places that dont get much just think in ten years when their finaly done somebody might catch a record class fish

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Guys,

don't get hyped up and begin to think you will start catching shad and stripers. There are cameras at the Fairmount fish ladder and in 3 years, there have been reports of only 1, one, uno shad that ever was smart enough to figure out the maze to get up the dam. No stripers though. The only fish that are smart enough to figure out the fish ladder is the carp., quillback, suckers, channel and flathead catfish. The fish laddrs simply do not work.

The Pa Boat and Fish Commission wants to stop the spread of flathead catfish but they built a ladder that allows them to get upriver. Kinda Ironic!!!

9. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The ones I saw out west in Oregon and Washington worked... the ones in Philly are not the most thought out pieces of engineering. If you are going to do it, do it right - but everything has a price and the cheapest option wins.

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    so is this good ort what??????????

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If they design them correctly it should help out. If not it's a waste of maoney. I hope that they put more thought into this venture than the lowest bid wins.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Like I said..."I'll teach them lil' buggers myself if I have to! LOL More muskelunge and pike...OH BOY!! woo- Hooo!!!!!!"

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  14. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  15. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    me too mike, just shows blank pic and every 5 seconds it refesh's , but no pic or vid.

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Same here.

17. From what I hear, they are rebuilding the Fairmont ladder, aren't they? They built a new one at Flatrock and Bridgeport over the past few years. Currently they are putting one in at Blackrock dam.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    good, some shad will fat'n up those flatty's quick

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    No, it's just means stripers will now be on the menu!

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The fish ladders are a good thing, but I can't help but think PFBC is having a cow over them. Reason being, they are so adamant about getting rid of the flatheads, but at the same time they are making an access for them to move on up river. I think it is kind of funny, though. :wink:

After quite a few meetings with PFBC is Harrisburg last year about the flatheads(long story about the reasons). I'm just tickled pink about this.