Fish Kill continues

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by moondog58, Sep 20, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The fish kill in Dunkerd creek continues. The Morgantown Sunday paper has a front page article about it this morning.

For more info see my post on the article that was in last weeks paper in this forum.

Anyway, it appears that more fish are being killed up stream from the CONSOL discharge pipe. The WV DNR reported that there are dead fish as far as 1.5 miles up stream from the CONSOL discharge pipe. The spokesperson for the WV DEP said this did not rule out CONSOL as a contributer to the fish kill, but that they needed to widen there search and look up stream at additional causes.

The WV DNR surveyed the creek by air this week to see if their ground search had missed anything. And residents in Brave Pa., said they saw large orange trucks with hoses running into the creek. The PA DEP said the trucks were drawing water from the creek, not discharging anything into it and that the DEP was aware of this.

This sad and dismal situation continues. Those responsible should be arrested, tried, and put in jail. Environmental contamination like this is a crime. The fish and wild life are only the first, what about the people along the creek that get their drinking water from wells. And what is this sending down stream to the Mon river and those that get their drinking water from it?

2. festus

festus New Member

I really hate to hear this. This summer there have been at least 4 fish kills in Tennessee. Just the other day the pesticide/fungicide runoff from a tomato farm killed gobs of fish in the Nolichucky River. Earlier another plant had ether spills on 2 occasions that killed several fish in I think the South Holston River. These plants sometimes continue to kill fish because it's cheaper for them to pay fines than upgrade their plant. :angry:

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    good post, unfortunate though that we can even talk about it. it is a real shame that such a beautiful creek, with the abundance of fish it had is now destroyed.

4. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There have been a couple of additional stories on the radio news out of Morgantown this week on the fish kill in Dunkerd creek.

I didn't hear the whole piece either time, but today it was a quote by someone in Morgantown city government expressing concern about the water quality in the Mon river.

Though Morgantown is far up stream on the Mon from where Dunkerd creek runs in, the water quality on the river has been questioned for years. The WV DEP has done a poor job over the years watching the water quality all over the state, not just up here in and around Morgantown.

Which is a sad fact.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hate to hear it .:angry: It is always troubling when you hear stuff like this ! I was in Clarksburg last weekend and fished the West Fork and had a good time wading for smallmouth . Hope my visits home can always include fishing the river that I fished all mykid/teen years .

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — An algae bloom is being blamed for the deaths of fish, mussels, salamanders and other aquatic life in nearly the entire length of Dunkard Creek along the Pennsylvania-West Virginia border.

Randy Huffman, secretary of the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, says high levels of chloride and other dissolved solids, along with the creek’s temperature, helped create the conditions along the 38-mile waterway.

Huffman says the type of algae normally is found in warmer U.S. climates.

He says discharges from a coal mine and an acid-mine drainage treatment facility contributed to the chloride levels.

Pennsylvania officials say at least 16 species of freshwater mussels and at least 18 species of fish were killed.

West Virginia authorities say fish began dying Sept. 1.

7. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Sickens me to no end.
    Maybe we should gather up a tanker full of the Dunkaed Creek water and make the owners of the 2 mines use it daily, drink, bathe, everything.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I feel that way about all intentional pollution and the folks responsible for it.

I'll even go a bit farther and say the same about folks (some of which are BOC members) who would fuss about beer cans on the bank, yet defend polluting the waters for corporate profit.

9. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thank you for the info.

Yes I agree. Corporate profit? How about corporate greed.

I am not going to say more because I do not want to make anyone mad, but it just makes me sick to think this great water is spoiled, for at least the life of my children.

Here is a list of books everyone should read. I am not a wacho green peace nut case or anything like that, but these are good books that everyone should read. All of us that fish know how important keeping the earth clean is.

Attached Files:

10. festus

festus New Member

Coal mining has sure destroyed lots of fishing in my area also.