Fish Jumping in Boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by jason berry, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I went out to Hovey Lake and was going across the lake with the dog and these huge fish just started flying through the air. I mean they were everywhere. They were the big head carp or asian carp. I knew they were in there but I had forgot about them. They usually stay back around the spillway but they have got alot worse and the water is really low. They were hitting the side of the boat they almost hit the dog they hit the motor and then I thought wouldnt it be something if one jumped in the boat Ill write about it on the BOC and then a few minutes later it happened. About a 10# jumped in the boat at first I thought it was funny but then I didnt because none of these fish were under 5# in fact most were over 10-15# if i had to guess and I didnt want to get hit with one because its happened before and it doesnt feel good. The dog was going nuts and almost breaking poles trying to catch them as they flew by. I am not joking either if someone doesnt believe run your motor and head back towards the spillway and you will see what I mean. I wouldnt advise it though the water is to low and you cant even reach the spillway. I killed the big head carp because its the law in Indiana there a nuisance fish and you have to throw out all you catch.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like you still had an exciting time..

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    ha ha ha !! you know better than to run your motor in hovey these days... that place is ruined as far as im concerned.. i doubt i will ever fish it again after the last time i was there and seen all the carp.... :angry: you catch any crappie while you were there?

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is crazy. I hope to never witness this type of event

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Seems like a person almost needs a full suit of armour on anymore to go out on the water. That or a closed in area just to run the boat. They are getting dangerous everywhere it seems. They are litterly taking over the water ways. And they can't seem to stop them. Be careful out there everyone.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    take your shotgun next time.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Adam that was my last trip to Hoveys also I usually can do alright if I get back to the spillway in my little boat but never tried it in the fall ripped my transducer off and broke the trolling motor clamp by listening to the big guy at Hoveys office he didnt have a clue whats going on he said head to the right thats the deepest water so I did and got 0.6 inches of water I was so mad I didnt even fish. They ruined hoveys by redoing the spillway.

8. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Here in the Mississippi it seems like about 2000 to 2500 RPM effects them. idle or wide open and I don't see them. It makes a mess in the boat blood and SLIIIMMMEE. In the IL river they run a pontoon boat with a bent blade on the prop, they are flying everywhere, you follow in a boat with dip nets and snag them, some friends I know "caught" over 300# that way, seems like they gave them to some place that makes Zoo food out of them.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another quality product from China.... lead paint and jumping carp. We can thank fish farmers in Arkansas for the problem.

Commercial fisherman ought to catch these things and leave the catfish alone.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like nuke the lake and start over. :confused2:

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    its an oxbow lake off of the ohio river.. it is stocked by the flood waters...

13. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    It's too bad that it has to be a worthless
    fish that jumps into a boat.

14. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    It seems that they are going in every direction also. Ive caught two this summer in my cast net while getting shad. They were very small but where there are little ones, bigger ones are present also. Ive never seen them going crazy like said above and hope I never do.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    same problem here i was at carlyle in the kaskaskia river and they was flying everywhere on hit my boy in the jaw so hard him and the fish was bleeding me and my buddy was laughing and wham i caught one to the shoulder , so being the fools we are we stopped and i threw in a shocker and holy crap it was raining carp . we started snagging them up thinking we would turn them into chum we had a boat full of them when we hit the boat ramp and people was freeking out . one fella said he would give us 10 cents a pound for them we had about 3 to 4 hundred pounds (why so many is beyond me ) so i told the guy he could just have them and we unloaded them into his truck he insisted on giving me 20 bucks to pay for my time . After we loaded them i asked him what he was going to do with them all and he said he new a place (wouldnt tell where) that gives 18 cents a pound for them. So im in search of this place and a dump truck ....lol

16. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I've seen videos of these before, and every time I see them, I think of this...

I don't know if this would be legal or not, as I've never seen it done, BUT...

Couldn't you build an aluminum frame, put hook sharp spikes on it, then bolt it to the side of the boat? When you're at 2500 rpms and they start jumping up, the spikes would catch the fish on the wall. When you get 15-20 fish on the wall, stop, unload them into the boat, then continue on until full again... Would that be legal? You'd load up in just a few short minutes. Make 10-15 passes and you have 400-500 pounds?

like I said, I don't know if this would be legal, and if it's not, PLEASE have an admin remove this post, as I don't want to get ANYONE in trouble! It's just a thought that ran through my mind, and seems it would work great?

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Use em for cut bait.

18. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I tried to make a drawing of my idea... The idea is to take a 10 foot flatbottom and pull it behind the bigger boat. The reason for this is because MOST of the fish are jumping in the wake and farther behind... You would pull the flatbottom with a cable or very strong rope, and the frame would have to be secured to the boat on the front and back with cabling or something. But this will give the general idea of what I mean?

http://www.smithfarming.com/spikeboat.JPG

The downriggers (floats like a pontoon?) would give side to side stability and keep it from dipping sideways due to the load.

This is just an idea that popped into my head... Seems it would catch a lot of those jumping fish?

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thats crazy!
    But I'll bet it was diffrent!:wink:

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    That would be devilest!