FISH IN THE OHIO

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    FISHED IN THE OHIO RIVER THIS WEEKEND. NEVER CAUGHT ANY OF ANY SIZE JUST A FEW CHANNELS AND ONE SMALL SHOVEL HEAD. I FISH MOSTLY LAKES SO MAYBE MY OPINION IS A LITTLE LOPSIDED. I FISHED RIGHT BELOW MELDAHL DAM AND NEXT TO THE POWER PLANT ,AND THE FISH I CAUGHT WERE REALLY SKINNY AND COVERED WITH RED DOTS. IS THIS NORMAL FOR THE FISH THERE . THE FISH I CATCH OUT OF THE LAKES ARE FAT AND UNBLEMISHED FOR THE MOST PART. THE DOTS DIDN'T LOOK LIKE ANYTHING CAUSED BY SPAWNING. IS IT JUST THIS ONE AREA OR ARE MOST OF THE RIVER FISH AFFLICTED THIS WAY?

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can't help you on the red dots maybe it's just the aera

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    river fishing in ohio has been slow this year, mainly due to low water and no current...i have caught channel cats out of paint creek with red dots on them before.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I hope you have better luck in the future brother! I am looking forward to hitting the river with you

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been told in the past that the red dots were from parasites, I know the river just cleared up, as it was very dirty and full of algae, it actully made me and my buddy fairly sick after we got in the water, didn't know they had reported on the news not to do so until it was too late. I still have the same sinus infection I had the day after I got into the water, and that has been 2 months ago. :crazy::eek:oooh:

6. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Just started fishin the Ohio this month. Have had little lusk in the catching area , the lakes around here in eastern ky. are pretty bad right now so I cant help you much with that. When you find out what those red dots are please lets us know.