Fish Identification

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by ryang, May 1, 2006.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Hello all Ive been searching thru the internet for a fish that my wife caught and cant ID it if you know of this fish please let me know.

The fish was about 6-8 inches long (probably a baby) looked kind of like a sucker fish (carp) but had Purple on the top of its head and the rest of the body of the fish was silver. The fish had scales. It kind of looked like a Buffalo carp but I dont think the head was that defined it was more streamlined. I dont have a picture as I just said it was a buffalo carp or drum of some type and cut it up and used it as bait.

Thanks for all the answers everyone I dont know if I can take it not knowing what it was tho.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Could it be a sucker? I heard a guy talking about red horse suckers one time and that sounds like what he was talking about. I caught something on the river that an ole timer fishing there called a sucker but I didn't see any red horses?:confused2:

ST

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    sounds like a red horse to me.

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Carp and Gold fish will cross. Years ago Eastern Il. University dumped a load of gold fish from one of their drained ponds into a gravel pit in Ashmore Il. near where I lived. All colors and sizes of funny carp were caught for years after.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like you caught Bait Gary. LMAO

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Which is exactly that I used it for Matt LOL, I was just wondering. I thought it might be that red horse but it wasnt quite the same. It was some type of sucker fish tho it could have been a cross between something else. The Purple could be there when its young also and it may grow out of it (well this one wont LOL)

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think it was a red horse. there are a couple of different kinds of red horse though.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The chubs i catch around home in the creeks turn very red, and even purple prior to the spawn. Only the males do this (like male crappie turn very black) I have caught some that were completely purple, maybe it was just because of this...

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    well....let's call it a ryfish:big_smile:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The redhorse sucker has a silver elongated body (torpedo shape)lol with red fins and edge of its tail.