Fish Identification

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, Feb 17, 2009.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I sent this message to the KDWP. I though I'd share it in case anyone here could help.

Thanks.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    do you want/expect general sportsmen comment? or are you only looking for something more local or scientific or researched??:tounge_out:

The problem with much of this forum although we have plenty of opinion (and the best darn one's on the planet!), posts usually lack solid credentialed evidence to back it up. If this were a college paper for example, almost nothing said on this thread will mean nothing... and DEC answers might or might not be useful (depending on how thoroughly they answer your question)
    ================================================

but you've stumbled into a topic that tugs at the passion of many anglers, Here. Many anglers here strongly believes that a sportsman has the obligation to correctly identify the fish; obey all the state rules and above and beyond all that, CPR trophy fish and limit pressuring the fishery too much....

State regs are usually evolved over time and have biological/ecological justifications. But in saying that I can show you zillions of examples across the US of A where ecological considerations are not the primary source of statewide regulations.

my state for example. 50 catfish per day, of any size, widely practiced would probably exterminate catfish in most PA places.:crazy:

as stated I have no fancy studies or proof of my opinions. And be sure to share what the Kansas fish commission says back to you.

3. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I look forward to seeing everyones opinions but, what I'm really looking for is links to credible sources to cite for my paper.

Not that the info I have found here isn't credible. It's just not really acceptable for a college paper. :)

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    This a good read, it may help you some.

Attached Files:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know that this isn't what you asked for, but since you're writing a paper on the importance of correctly identifying fish, I thought that you might like this link to Fishbase, which is the best place I've found for identifying fish and finding scientific info about them.

http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep, I agree.:cool2:

I remember the days fon--umm... I remember the days. Thank goodness I wasn't an ENGLISH major. Research papers were never my strong point.

Good luck,
    Jason

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I was thinking the same thing as kyle.

I dont know if their is much science to it. I think they just try to keep the populations at a certain level and use the information they gather from shocking, to judge the "health" of a body of water.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Maybe nothing would be used coming from your mouth....
    I read stuff on here every day that would hold water on any paper. There are tons of very informed information on here.

kscats:

check this out... http://www.kscourts.org/dstcts/4fshfine.pdf Then you pretty much answered your other question.