Fish identification help

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by daredevle, Aug 2, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there is a fish in a pond that i fish that is over 4feet long gray with blakc vertical stripes i know that its not a striper or a carp so im stumped please help me oh yeah if u do know what it is please teel me what i can catch it on thatnks brothers.:wink:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Without startin a disagreement about the only thing I know of that could be 4 feet long and have vertical stripes would be a musky.Theres some of them in the northern part of the Broad River but I dont know what one would be doin in a pond.Maybe a big chain pickerel or somethin, I dont know.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    musky was my first thought also but i'm not sure that matches up with the gray color after thinking about it...they just found a pacu in boyd's mill pond (i think) recently so it ain't no tellin what it might be...maybe a tiger shark:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The Tiger muskie does have stripes that are vertical, but they are almost "tiger like" stripes, thus the name. They do grow to the length you are speaking of.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its a Tiger Grass Carp Pickerel. A mystical wondermont from the Far East.:smile2:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Its not a snakehead is it? That would suck.

7. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    it might be a snake head some bass i cacth have parts of there tail eaten off

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The only thing that size that I can figure would be in a pond would be a grass carp or a gar. Grass carp don't have any stripes or bars, gar do. Could it be a longnose gar? They are basically gray with black markings that sometimes could look like vertical bars.

By the way, the stripes on stripers are horizontal.

9. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    never thought of a gar what would ge a good bait for gar

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Minnows are my bait of choice for gar (when I am bored or desparate enough to try to catch one), live or dead - with just a hook on the line, no weight or float.

Sometimes they will go for a surface lure like a small zara spook.

Some folks fish for them with "rope lures" which are a lure made of unraveled nylon rope that tangels the gar's teeth when they try to eat it (no hook necessary).