Fish ID what could it be?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Feb 19, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Several years ago I had a guy ask me if I could identify catfish by their head.I told him I could because they were distinctly different.He told me he had caught what he thought was a bullhead that weighed 18 lbs but that when he showed head to fish and game they told him it was a flathead.I told him it probably was because bullheads dont get that big.A few days later he brought me the frozen head and if it wasn't a bullhead I dont know what it was.Absolutely no chance it was channel or flathead but head would fit 18 lb fish.He caught it out of marmaton river near Elsmore.When I lived in Florida I caught catfish that looked a lot like bullheads but got a lot bigger.Anyone have any thoughts?:confused2:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would guess a hybrid. Its is not very common but it is possible.
    Channel catfish have been know to mate with flathead catfish (Pylodictis olivaris), blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus), white catfish (Ameiurus catus), brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus), yellow bullhead (Ameiurus natalis), and black bullhead (Ameiurus melas), resulting in a variety of hybrid catfish.
    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/channelcatfish/channelcatfish.html

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerald and I have caught Catfish here on Milford Lake that we feel are definitely hybrid, between a Blue and Channelcat.
    I've posted pics of them, don't remember where though:confused2:. They had distictive features of both. Color, exactly like a Blue, the hump on the head, but the anal fin of a Channel. Our biologist said, it's possible, but not likely, but from what we've seen, they sure do look like it.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I catch blue channel here a lot that are just male spawning channel.But this fish head I saw was something different.It looked exactly like a bullhead but I know it couldnt be.