Fish ID question?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shrewboy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went fishing Wednesday morning (7-18-07) and caught 2 cats. I had one in the net and the other was pulling the float down. The first one was 17 pounds and the other was 16 pounds. After struggling to pull the hook out of the first one, I released the first one and it went under my canoe and came back up on the other side. So I caught it again and tryied to burp it. I was able to stick my fist pretty easily into it's mouth. The other fish had a much smaller mouth and I couldn't even come close to getting my hand in its mouth. Both fish were about the same length. With the hot sun out and the stress of trying to free the hook from the first fish, I hurried to get the fish back into the water. I didn't even think that I could have two different species. The second fish was definitely a blue cat. Now I'm starting to question my first one now. Does anybody know if the mouth on the blue catfish species gets larger with the male or the female, or did I just get a new PB on a channel cat? Like I said, I just wanted to get the fish back into the water and I didn't even think to check the anal fin to ID the fish properly.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ah, but without photo documentation, we shall never know. lol. Congrats on your catch no matter what it was!

3. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    the FEMALE has got have the biggest mouth. ouch here it comes !!! LOL Girls

4. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Thats funny I don't are who you are.
    Da devil made me do it

5. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys. I'll plead the 5th after that last post. Does anybody else have any more thoughts with out getting me into some type of trouble with the women?

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This is obviously just a guess without the pix, but I'd say the smaller-mouthed fish was a channel. Catch him again and take a pic...:wink: