Fish ID help

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by duxsrus, Jun 13, 2007.

1. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Can anyone tell me what kind of fish this is? They were given to me so I don't know what kind they are. I think they are some kind of Cichlid and they are pretty aggressive. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Pretty aggressive is probably an under statement. lol. That would be a Red Devil Cichlid. I had one and it did not play well with others to say the least. Plan on buying alot of feeder goldfish.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, that is a red devil. They are fair tempered until they reach 5 to 6 inches. They will kill (or attempt to kill) anything that gets around their spot in the tank (very territorial). My advice to you is to get rid of it somehow (not in a lake or river). This is why it was given to you, LOL!!!

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You guys are gonna laugh at me here. I got 2 Red Devils about 5"-6" long, 3 tinfoil barbs about 7"-8" long, 2 albino tiger oscars that are at least 8"long and 1 remaining pink convict about 4" long, all living in the same tank. Two other pink convicts were nearly beaten to death and had to be removed. I've had them just about a year and they were all small when placed in there so they've grown up together and get along pretty well. Definately a lot of chase going on in the tank but I've managed to keep them pretty friendly. The oscars take food out of my hand every night. I feed them pellets and flake and NO live food to keep the aggression down. Thanks for the help again guys!

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sound like the devils might work out alright in your setup. The ones that might be in trouble would be the convicts due to their size. Sounds like a nice assortment of fish in your tank. Sure would like to see a pic of them. My tank has been reduced down to a pleco, a flordia spotted gar, a flathead, and a lungfish. Let me tell you what a 24" lungfish will greatly reduce the population of your tank rather quickly. :big_smile:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It has been my experience that red devils get along with no fish. If it is a true red devil, you need to get rid of them. Otherwise your peacefull little aquarium community will turn into "A Nightmare on Elm Street".

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya went and got cichlids. LOL! Like Jason said with the feeders. You are gonna need a mess of them. LOL! I had the fish tank "BUG" big time back in the 70's and 80's. Enjoyed the ride for several years and was glad when it ended. LOL! Have fun! Get yourself a couple of Dempsys and maybe an Arawana or two for some real fun. For entertainment may I suggest a snakehead or pirhana.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Been there, done that with the piranahs. Had several hundred dollars worth of them and over the course of a year, I found out which one was king of the tank. So I gave him away to someone with a 180 gallon tank full of piranahs and mine was the smallest so I hope he got eaten just like he did to the rest of his buddies. :lol:

I'll see if I can get a decent shot of my tank. I had to take about 20 pictures last night just to get the one of the Red Devil stopped. I need to do it right when the light comes on and they are still waking up and sitting pretty still.

Thanks again for the help guys!