fish, hunt, or stalk

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by fishstick, Nov 15, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was sitting around bored and got to thinking (uh oh) about the different forms of pursuing catfish. everyone calls it fishing but after looking up the different meanings of the word in the dictionary and thesaurus i find that i don't "fish"----i "hunt" and "stalk" fish.
    to "fish" means to blindly search for something. i've seen plenty of people "fish" for fish. i even do it myself on occasion. but mostly i "hunt" and "stalk" fish. to "hunt" is the process of looking carefully or thoroughly for something. to "stalk" is to seek out (game) for food or sport.
    someone who goes down to the lake or river without a game plan or not knowing the body of water and just casting out a line with the hopes of catching a fish is "fishing". there's nothing wrong with a person "fishing" if that makes them happy, but as for myself, i am not happy "fishing".
    the largest river in my area is small compared to the missouri, ohio, or the mississippi rivers but to me it is an endless ribbon of hunting and stalking oppertunities. countless times i've pulled up to the boat ramp and seen people sitting on a cooler or lawn chair with their poles propped in the fork of a limb that they've driven into the ground "fishing". but it is nothing for me to put my boat in at this ramp and not slowing down till i'm 15 miles up or down the river with a game plan to catch a monster blue cat. when i get to the spot that i've chosen to "hunt" i will "stalk" the spot exhaustivly until i've either caught a trophy blue cat or determined that i've done all in my power to catch one. usually it's the latter but on occasion my "hunting" trip turns out in my favor.
    there is one spot that i have found on my river that has produced several trophy sized blue cats within a 50 foot radius. it took me 2 years to find this spot and realize that i had found a very special spot. i try every trip to this spot to analize what makes it special and for me to try to explain what i have figured out would be time consuming and probably useless information to anyone else.
    my main point of this post is that when a person goes after a fish you can either go after it blindly or you can have a plan and actually put some time and effort into making your trip more successful. find a spot that produces fish and figure out why and when the fish are there and you'll become a successful fisherman. it's hard work and a person that says that pursuing catfish is relaxing is a true "fisherman".

2. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Could not agree more. If I simply "fished," I would not go. It is the hunt that I enjoy most. Seeing the hard work payoff is one of the greatest feelings in the world. I am always exhausted when I get home from fishing because I am working constantly. I am always thinking of my next move, why one rod is getting bit and the others are not, how should I change my presentation, the questions are endless. Good post.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thank you scott---was wondering if anyone "got it"

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I always prefer to stalk , I like to think that I control my own destiny to speak.Most times it still involves a run/gun technique.I learned more from crappie fishing this way.The one constant is find the food you at least have a chance for finding the predators.Some spots look good on a sonar but if no baitfish is there I don't waste my time.I do try and mark them for a latter time if the baitfish do show up.

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are very few times that I'll go out and just fish. On lakes that i've never fished, I've done my homework by studying maps and looking at google earth.

Of course, there are those days when I can't get on much of anything and I'll drift across the lake..... but even then, I'm concentrating on areas that I know have produced or should produce fish.

Good Post!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I use to tournament fish I spent hours eliminated water and refining my patterns. Many times when I had fish located on a pattern I would try to find a pattern within a pattern. Always on the stalk and hunt. Good post.