Fish Hooks - What size and type for 5-10 pound channels?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Tarheel, May 3, 2006.

1. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm new to this board so forgive me if this is re-hashing an old subject, but I am look for the best hook to use for 5-10 pound channel cats. I have used circle hooks in the past, but I am tired of only hooking 1 in 3 fish. Any suggestions? It just seems like with circle hooks, the fish can double over the pole, but never gets hooked. If it helps, I almost always fish with cut shad on High Rock Lake.

Thanks Again!!!!

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What size circles are you using? Try 8/0 wide gap circles and do not haul up on the rod when you get a hit, just start reelin in.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tarheel i like the gamakatsu hooks in the octopus style in the 5/0 size. they can handle larger fish also.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris , Welcome to the BOC, Great site. I use the Gamaktsu-Octopus in 4/0--8/0.. and i never set the hook, let the rod load-up and just wind them in , One thing i never do is cover the hook point , leave the hook point out of the bait and the fish will do the rest, Thats the only hook i use for drift-fishing.........hope this helps........steve

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just to clear things up on the gamakatsu. they make a octopus circle and then a plain octopus hook. i dont use the circle myself but the plain octopus works gret for me drifting or bottom fishing. most of the time drifting the hook set itself anyway but bottom fishing require the old jump up and set the hook and the plain octopus works fine for me on that end.

6. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Great advice. I live in Winston-Salem so about my only source for fishing tankle (other than the occasion drive to Bass Pro in Charlotte) is the Wal-Mart. I couldn't find the G- Octopus circles hooks there. Any advice on where to get them?

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris, I get mine at Bass - Pro, They are in the salt-water section......

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC,

9. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks again, I will try to head to BPS shop in the next couple of weeks. There is a wealth of informaiton on this board, and I appreciate everybody who shares it!

10. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    They also have a nice combo pack of catfishing hooks (circle, octopus, etc in different sizes) from Gamakatsu. Picked up a pack last weekend while the wife was clothes shopping:roll_eyes:

11. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    gamakatsu only for me too. i use 8/0 for everything. even a 1lb channel will eat a 8/0 hook.

i use octopus circles in areas where i am sure which direction the fish is gonna run. like heavy current areas. for general use though, the octopus(non-circle) is the best. lakes with no current, i feel a non-circle is best.

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you can't find them at BPS or Wal mart, go to www.catfishconnection.com. They are guaranteed to have exactly what you're looking for.

13. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    there is a bait shop in clemmons. they might have something. i am still using the stuff i got when i used to do alot of saltwater fishing.

14. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    WHere in Clemmons? I am familiar with Clemmons, but can't place the bait shop?

15. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I agree with catfishrus the gamakatsu non circle is one of my favorites. The circle work for some guys and they sware by them but I like to pick up the loose line and let the fish go for a run and whale on them. The gamakatsu octupos is a standard j hook with a decent gap between the shank and the tip and they come needle sharp. I also agree with ensuring the point can penitrate when the bait is taken. The hook size should depend on the bait size. A good match would be the hook is not dwarfed by a huge piece of bait and the bait isn't dwarfed by huge over sized hook. If you have a chance to watch the video of the 65lb blue caught by Eric the DeerHunter01 staff member he show the kayle hook being used which is another great option for channels since you will be using cut bait most likely. In the vid he hooks the bait from inside the gut cavity and ensure the tip is very clear of the outer skin which in turn will allow for a non interfering hook set.

16. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have tried various hooks including circle and kahle's. If you could get over to Greensboro, Gander Mountain has a pretty good selection of hooks.

17. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    hey i usually use 2/0 baitholder hooks for the little cats and a 5/0-8/0 oct hooks for the bigger guys so you should be fine with anything between there just maksure theyre sharp

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I generally use a pretty big circle hook...7/0, but it works on the small ones and can handle the big ones too.

19. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    2/0 Gamakatsu octopus J hooks. I use them alot for my lighter work & I landed a 28.07 lbs. flathead on one fishing with a small dead shad for channels.

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Just to stir the pot a little I don't use circle hooks of any kind. The reason for this, I like setting the hook. I suggest 5/0-7/0 Pin Point or Laser hook. Either will handle that size fish and larger. I start at 7/0 and go to a 9/0 when I know Mr. Big Fish is home. To set the hook or not to set the hook that is the question.:0a23:
    Don