Fish Hooks - What size and brand do you use?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by thecatman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    what size and brand of hook should i get for using up to 5-8 inch bluegills

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of hooks will work..Just pick what you are comfortable with..I would suggest the gamagatsu octopus hook size 8/0, or eagle claw king kahle size 8/0.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with Jack on this. The gamagatsu octopus hook size 8/0, also the circle hooks too.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    4/0 kahle should work just fine.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Personally I like to use gamakatsu 6/0 to 8/0 octopus hooks. Circle hooks work alright for live bait, but I think it gives you more of an edge to get the hookpoint imbedded into the fish's mouth. The 6/0 to 8/0 size is ideal (for me anyways) for just about any size of fish that I come across. I have had little half-pound bullheads work a 6/0 into their mouths.

:0a26:

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    If your using 5 to 8 inch bluegills. You intend to hook a fairly large fish. I would not be afraid to use 8/0 to 10/0 hook size. I prefer the gamakatsu Octupus non circle. But alot of the guys here like the eagle claw king kahles.

You have to think about how thick the bone in the fishes mouth when they get above 30 lbs. The gap has to be fairly wide. Keep that in mind.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Using Bluegill from 5" - 8", I would use Kahle size 7/0 to 9/0 depending on the size gill your hooking.

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I like Whisker Stickers. What size do they go up to? I thank they are made by StikeKing. Would they work with a 4inch bluegill?