Fish heads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by The_Mad_Catter, Apr 19, 2007.

1. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    I have great luck fishing live gills, creekchub, and bullheads. I see a lot of people use gill heads. What is the advantage

2. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    The only advantages that I can think of is the guts and organs that usually stay with the head when it's cut away from the body. There's plenty of blood and scent for a catfish to pick up on. Also, hooking the head through the eye socket makes it much harder for the cat to pull the bait from the hook. I've caught a number of nice catfish using bluegill heads.

3. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    Ok thats what I guessed. I will have to give it a try because it makes sense to me:big_smile:

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't know why but heads consistantly produce more fish than any other cut for me. My partner and I politley share them but we both wish there were two on every fish.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Gill heads work really good for channels or at least that has been my experience.

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    is that all u can get off gill heads? mostly channels? then whats best for blues?

7. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    The first time I used heads was on Lake Marion SC. We were fishing with Joe Drose, We were drift fishing with a narrow float in front of the head on the leader. It kept the head off the bottom as it drifted over structure. When the hits came the fish almost tore the float off with the head. All the fish we caught using this method were Blues. This is just my experience and a tip I picked up. When we were fishing Flatheads we anchored over the fish and used live Bream or bluegill with the tail fins cut off and the fish could only swim in a circle.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    LOL. wouldn't it be nice...

9. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    My opinion on the subject is that most predators will eat their prey head first. They'll inhale the head expecting fish to be behind it, not hook! I think there more selective with the other pieces because it is just a "part" and not as natural as a head is. Just my opinion though;

hope this sheds some light or illuminates something better,

dru

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I catch most of my blues off shad HEADS, and rarely catch on the lines set with the back half of the fish...

11. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    The only advantage I know would be the scent trail. My brother has caught some nice channels using gill and chub head.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    fish heads
    fish heads
    rolly polly fish heads
    eat em up...... YUM!

sorry couldnt resist