Fish gravy

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Buddrice, May 30, 2006.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I grew up eating fish gravy.Every time my mother fried fish she would cook some fish gravy.We would eat it on bread and our fries.My wife had never heard of it until one day at Moms.Now when I fry fish she wants fish gravy.I start with a little cooking oil that I fried the fish in and then add corn meal till it's about like a paste or roux and brown the corn meal. Then I will start adding water slowly until I get the consistancy that I want. I then add salt and pepper for added taste.There might be another name for it ,but all I have ever heard it called is fish gravy. It probably sounds bad but when prepared right it is way better then white or brown gravy.Here are some pictures while preparing it.The first picture is with the corn meal added,the second picture is with water being added and the the third picture is the finished gravy which I enjoyed before I started this post.Has anyone else ever made it?

Attached Files:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Fish,hushpupies,a pot of grits and fish gravy.It all made a mess of fish go a lot farther in a poor home with a lot of mouths to feed.It was allso good eating.peewee-williams

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    good grief buddrice

what time is dinner??????
    that looked great!!!
    that looked like an advertisement for a southern fried eatin establishment

im hungry now , well i guess im always hungry ...... but that looked dang good!!!:smile2:

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    This is the first time that ever heard of fish gravy. It sounds good i'll have to try it.

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    That sounds gross and looks nasty!
    I bet it tastes great!

I'll give that a go... thanks!

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Those small fried bream look like good eating. I think those or bream. The gravy
    part, I tried when I was a kid. I had forgot all about that. I cant even remember
    what it taste like but those fried fish and tators look good.

7. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i coudl of swore i seen a catfish bait called catfish gravy somewhere. sounds as good as that chinese food i hurled awhile back

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Buddy, I sure am hungry! Can I see what else is on the menu?

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bud,
    I sure have eaten it as a child growing up! Surprising how many have never heard of it or bacon gravy. Bacon gravy is my favorite. My Dad used to say my Mom's oldest sister could make gravy or dumplins' out of anything and had as far as he knew. :lol:
    Thanks for the memories.

P.S. Now for some fried squirrel from back in those days.........ummm, especially the legs. I never cared for gravy from squirrel or rabbit though. Dad used to fascinate me with the cracking of his spoon on the head to pop out the brains on a squirrel. He swore that was the best part. This story has caused much disgruntlement from others, so if it did here, I apologize in advance, but Dad lived off the land and animals. He didn't waste much of anything in his lifetime.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I like gravy, but just the thought of fish gravy makes me want to throw up!:eek:oooh:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's got to taste better than it sounds. that's a new one on me.

Cheryl, my buddy Scott loves squirrel brains and eggs. I take him all my heads....then I leave! I don't want to hear it.

12. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    As far as bacon gravy, I thought everyone eat that growing up, I still make it every now and then. I never heard of fish gravy, it don't sound to good but I'll have to give it a try. Hell I try anything once, well almost anything, lol.

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Hey John, If you cooked that fish in your avatar I'm sure it turned into gravy. And tasted like plastic. LOL I have never had fish gravy, I don't think I want to try it. It doesn't sound right to me.

14. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Reminds me of the old days growing up as a kid when you played outside and used sticks and limbs as you bows and arrows and your guns when you played cowboy and indian.We did not have toy guns.My family didn't have much money.Good old days when you really appreciated what you had or got.

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    .I learned a lot of different eating from neighbors,kinfolk and in laws.Boiled till tender and add dumplings.Fried,make gravy,put your meat back in and cook till tender.Tough old Squirrel,rabbit,roster,didn;t matter.This was the ways to get it tender enough to eat.If you didn;t,the bones would be the tender part.Parched and ground beans or corn stretched the coffee around Roan or Spivy mountain.Chicory stretched it in the bayou country.Cotton country share croppers drank water.They all dug Sassafras,which I drink every day.I still laugh about the recipes of today for stews,soups,and gumbos.The original recipes for them was "whatever you had to put in it".People learned to make good out of what they had.I think 72 to 120 hours without,would change a lot of minds on here.It did for me.Until you do,you will really never know what hungry is.peewee-williams

16. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    when i was a boy things wer pretty ruff we grew corn could get it ground at the mill we did not have flour so mother made cornmeal gravy but she did add milk instead of water it was rather tasty i still hav it today.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You're right about hunger being the best seasoning, Peewee. Back in '83 I had to go without solid food for three weeks. When I finally did get something to eat, it was some of that gray institutional roast beef. I put a bite in my mouth and just enjoyed all the flavors I had never realized it had.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say that your fish gravy sounds kind of like 'cush' or 'cushcush' except with fish added. Cushcush is an OLD southern recipe, and like many old recipes, is made to take with a pinch of salt...and anything else laying around that could be added to make it go further or give it a little different taste, just for a change of pace. You can cook cushcush till it's moderately thick and eat it as cereal or porridge, or you can cook it into a cake and eat it like a pancake, or hoecake (which is generally a different recipe).

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What is amazing is how little you can eat at your first meal after going hungry for days.Set a huge piling up plate in front of you,and you cain;t get a good handful down.Your belly has shrunk.Weird.Sure ain;t nothing like in the movies.peewee-williams

20. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    DaD use to kill alot of hogs for us when i was growing up. use to kill 2 at time when dad would get one killed and cut up and while we was killing the other one mom would be in the kitcken fixing tenderlion,gravy from tenderlion that she would fry,fried apples, home made biscuits, and some other stuff yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyy wasnt nothing no better to sit down and eat.