Fish fry for the homeless?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by carolinakid76, Jan 19, 2010.

1. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have been thinking about getting together with other fisherman in my area and organising fish fry s for the homeless .... I was just wondering if any of ya'll have ever done something like that before... I have been thinking about it for a long time ,but I don't have the smarts or resources to get something like that off the ground in my town.....Any information would be highly appreciated!!! thanks!!!!!

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I apologize for my spelling and grammar.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    our local VFW post here has done that a few times. good idea bro, reps to ya.

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You can proably find people to help at city hall ,fire station.or church ,good luck and get the ball rolling..:good:

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It's a great thought and a generous idea, but......There's always a BUTTTTTT. I'd lay ya dollars to doughnuts that unless the fish you are going to use comes from a supermarket some place, there's gonna be some busy body do-gooder pitchin a fit about where you got the fish. You know the river ain't legal and sanitary and all that rot. Where you go to circumvent all that sort of crap I have no idea. If you can pull it off I'd sure like to know how you did it.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you can do it go for it. they do hunters for the hungry here, where you can donate a deer to the homeless and hungry to eat in a food kitchen. i donate money to them every year and a deer or two also, when i was hunting all the time. we can kill a lot of does where i live and they need killed, plus it can feed someone. so i dont know why you couldn't feed the fish caught from the river or lakes. however it is ashame, people will get in your way if you dont cross the "t's" and dot the "i's"

7. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would not want to do any thing like that for personal gain..... It's just something that I have thought would be a good thing to do for people ,that I pass by when driving through OKC....

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont think that anyone thought that. they and i are just saying check with someone like city hall and see what they say. you may have to follow some rules about how to do it.

9. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    brother , I never thought anyone thought that...lol I was just saying I aint one of those folks that do thing to look good, that aint me brother.....:handshake:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Mighty kind of ya, Jeff. They will appreciate it.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It's very kind and generous idea but it might be better to donate fish to one of the shelters like the hunters donate meat.
    Call or visit one or two shelters and see if you can talk to those that run them, maybe they can help you...W

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sounds like a great idea, perhaps somethin like that would allow them to meet someone who could help em get back on their feet. You know, just talkin and eatin, learnin about each other and circumstances and how to get in contact with em.

I"m thinking the most difficult would be finding a location, depending on time of year, a place that could hold a bunch of em, like a Legion Hall or VFW Hall, then making arrangements and getting people to do the work. If it can't be arranged at a local homeless shelter or food kitchen, then see if ya can just donate. Good luck, hope it works out.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like a good idea but I think like already stated ,you'd be better off just donating the fish to a shelter.Save you a whole lot of headaches and you will still be doing a good deed.Hopefully everything will workout for you