fish finders

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by McLovin, Dec 13, 2009.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What fish finders do you guys recommend? I'm wanting something in the $400-$700 range or cheaper if possible. Thanks in advance.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    For $700 you can find a nice color/gps unit. I like Eagle/Lowrance. Humminbird has the new side imaging which is cool too. Be sure to get a unit that is compatible with the Navionics chip, or other comparable topographical lakes programs.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bill said it. My advice would be go ahead and get the one you want because if you keep at it you'll want a better one anyway. If I had all the money I've spent on "cheaper ones" I could have bought a "good" one, instead of buying several then buying a "good" one.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I like lowrance / eagle I have a old X -15 and love it until i seen a colored unit mine black and grey screen .

for that kind of money ya can find a color unit not that they are better just easier to see for me ..

in my opinion nowadays they are all so close in the way they function between brands, what I would do is go to a bass pro or cabelas and spend a few hours looking at them and ask many questions .

they even have them running at the store so you can see what it would look like on the water and what functions the units can do .

after you figure out what kind you like the best I would shop ebay and craigs list

so many great outstanding deals out right now ..

friend of mine found a hummingbird 1197 with all the bells and whistles with maps for 700 $$$$$ :eek:oooh::crazy: thats a 2000 to 3000 unit .

also watch for clearance sales on the internet ,, and stores ..

my unit is now outdated but i still love it and works 100 %%%% fine .

dont let the salesmen talk ya into a over priced unit just because its new on the market !!!!!

a year later it will sell for a couple hundred dollars less :wink:

have fun looking and take your time on getting a good buy so after a few years if you decide you want bigger and better you will be able to get most of your money back on your unit if possible !!!

.. just my 2 cents

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WISE post, Scotty!

Bill in SC

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I had a Eagle a couple of years ago and then i got a humminbird. I think the eagle done a lot better job. Wene i get ready to by another it will be a eagle....

7. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys for all the info. What are some of the model numbers? I've been looking but there are so many of them out there, its hard to decide....lol.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  9. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

:big_smile: way to help a guy out Bill !!!!!

i went to rep ya but said i had to spread some around first !!!

too cool of ya :wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  11. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    :smile2::smile2: now he wont be able to sleep tonight or the next few days looking and dreaming

thats what i did anyway lol

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It ant bells and dodads but gets the job done just a tough greyscale unit.
    hummingbird 718. Dont cost alot easy to use. Has survived several direct hits from big heads on the Mo. I have snapped off the transducer mount 2 times on the mo river due to timber. They sent me a new one no cost in 2 days. It ant color but is dual beam and marks the fish after I got the settings right for the turbid mo river water. Its got a nice light setting for @ night. I have no problems with it other than when I upgrade its goan be a side scan unit