Fish finders

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mofisher, May 29, 2009.

1. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright so I've been saving my money and I think its time to buy a descent fish finder/depth finder. I've been reading about it and it seems that you really get what you pay for in this area, but I'm also a college student with bills to pay. Is there a difference between a chart plotter and a basic fish finder? The gps option isn't really important to me but I'm not opposed to it either. Color isn't a must either. Around 250.00 is what I have right now is the garmin 300c a good choice? Should I go with a different brand? I'll really appreciate any input on this subject. The BOC has never steered me wrong and I've learned alot from everyone.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I Dont know much about fish finders but i do know about Gps's and Garmin is the best you can get gps wise. I Have owned thier off brand too also known as TomTom's. If i was to spend the money on a fishfinder/depth meter and it had gps option i would buy a garmin. With the gps always be able to plot the hot spots you found.. Just my Two cents like i said dont know much about fishfinder's but thats wut i would spend my money on. Good Luck and happy fishing

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I am not 100 percent sure but I am pretty sure that a chart plotter is just a gps and has nothing to do with a fish finder. Their are alot that are combos that do both but not for 250 dollars.

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Jason I have the eagle fish finder 450 with gps. I really like the unit. It is not color. I gave 300 for it a cabelas. I think it is 350 now. But you can get it for around 250 with out the gps. I am very happy with it. Good luck on what ever you get.

Tom

5. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Your Eagle worked very well when you took me out on your boat:big_smile: That GPS sure came in handy from the fog at one point.

6. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I've had most of them in my boat at one time or another and LOWRANCE is all I'll have in my boat, the rest got a dip in the lake:crazy:

7. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    GPS is really nice. I have a Garmin 430s and havnt ever had any problems. The GPS works great and works just fine as a depth/fish finder.

8. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Jason I have a FishEasy 320c that's color for sale. $100 if you're interested. It works great it's just that I upgraded to a gps unit.

9. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hummingbird 525 with 60 degree side view is great for about $275.00