fish finders /gps and pole holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by chambers bd, Jan 25, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I also want to rerigg the Sergeant's time with a fish finder and gps. I using a eagle and garmin hand held. I also would like to know what pole holders you folks like.

Help me out if you can

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I would highly recommend Drift Master rod holders. Pricey but you get what you pay for, quality.:big_smile:
    How much are you looking to spend on the electronics?

Thanks
    David

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i like pro series (1/2in.) drift masters i use the DUO model cant beat them !!!:0a26:

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    hI fOLKS
    iD SAY 500.00 TO 600.00 ON GPS / FISH FINDER

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Same here.:0a27:Versatility and quality in one holder.

Have you looked into the Lowrance units. I think the lms-520c would fit in that price. I have seen it different places on line for around $550 plus S&H. I think the 520c took the place of the 332c from Lowrance and may have some improvements. I have a LMS-332c on my tracker and I like it and had good service from it for the past 3-4 years. I cannot remember for sure when I bought it.:smile2: I know it has been at least three years. I would recommend no matter what unit you purchase buy the map card for the area you are going to be fishing.

Thanks
    David

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes i agree drift masters they are the only way to go.....

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have looked at many units , I want a good one to match my boat.

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I saving my money to buy the 997c, as for pole holders I build my own, they look alot like drift masters only they don't cost me anything. They are made of stainless ,I have 3/8 and 1/2 sizes for different situations.

9. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    driftmaster 1/2" dou pro, I have owned 3 lowrance units x-15, x-18c and i currently use a x-25c. all three units have been sonar gps combo's and the have all worked great. I think lowrance really has the best unit for the money. Cabelas runs good sales on diff. units quite often.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    hi guy,
    how much for 10 ea 1/2" types?

11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    as far as fish finders go, I have th EAGLE fishmark 320, th best fish finder for th money. didnt cost but a lil over $100, and it has 3 settings, but no gps. I know th 3 lakes I fish pretty well so... but as for resolution its 320 by 320 pixel, thats why I got it, best resolution for th $$. As for rod holders, I to build my own. I got th idea off here for th pvc rod holders. cut'em outta 4" pvc.

12. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hey Brian,you will be somewhere around $300 for 10 of the 1/2 in duo pros with the base's.You might want to get a few extra base's so you can be a little more flexible with your placement.The extra base's will push it over $300 but it is $$ well spent,talk to retailers about a discount since you are getting so many.Look around for the best price,you will find some difference if you order them direct from driftmaster it will be more $$$ but you can get everything just the way you want where you might have to wait for a deealer to order them.Hope this helps ya out some,by the way I have them on my boat and they work great.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    thank you sir!
    I really value you fine folks opinoin

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If you are going to do the driftmaster rods, catfish safari is a dealer for them and more importantly a supporter for the BOC. If you aren't going that route I would call David at Drift Master and see how much you can get them direct from him for. Just a thought that might save you a few dollars. You might be able to save a little with buying several at one time. They are definitely worth the investment. Your not just taking a chance on losing gear, your talking the possible death of the fish that has the gear attached to it and the possibility or absolutely ruining a fishing trip if a rod holder breaks or fails.
    Thanks
    David

15. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    In my opionion, you can't beat driftmaster.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like the Driftmasters as well. I'll differ from the rest of the posts, though, in that I really like Humminbird's sonar/gps units. Not sure exactly what you're looking for in GPS - full blown maps or just the ability to save off your tracks and waypoints. If the latter, you can get one of the Humminbird Matrix series units for a couple of hundred bones and add a GPS antenna for around $100 - putting you well under $500. They've also come out with several other units lately that may get you in under budget with a color screen and ability to take map chips. Bonus of going with H'bird is that when you decide to upgrade in the future to a side-image unit you're already familliar with how all the buttons work:wink:

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    mom came home with a b/w hummingbird 161 gps

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good deal! Hope you enjoy it. Not sure what waters you fish, but man that GPS is a life saver (or at least blood-pressure lowerer) on a big river at night during fog, etc. Hope it puts ya on some hogs!

Branden

19. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Congrats on the new Humminbird .:big_smile: Sounds like a fine woman you got there.:big_smile:

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yes I have been blessed with her for 29 years, I think ill keep her!:big_smile: