Fish finders 2 at a time?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by skinnerbug, May 14, 2006.

1. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    i use to use a cuda 168 but i sold it with my boat now i have a h-bird 565 and a cuda 242 i have not had it in the water yet i was thinking after i mounted them will they both work at the same time both transsponders are on the trasom side by side any one elese run 2 like that? i have ran 1 on the stern and one on the bow before but never side by side :confused2:

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    skinnerbug,

It may give you some problems with overlap being side by side, I run two units at the same time a Humminbird and a Lowrance but the Lowrance is on one side of the motor and the Humminbird on the other side, i have the entire rear end of the boat covered, with your transducers side by side the signals are going to be overlaped and the units will be having trouble figuring out which signal belongs to who...............Doc

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Doc, what if they are running different freaks? Would it still be an issue?

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Won't be an issue as lots of the units are dual tranducers, I guess I should have stated that units of the same freq. will pose compatability problems, thanks for steering me straight on that Mark, my Humminbird is a dual unit one is a 200khz the other is 83khz and both are in the same transducer, lots of times when in deep water like 70 foot or better I'll pull up the 83khz window as it is a narrower beam and will penetrate the deeper depths and give me a better picture.......Doc

5. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I have two garmin 240's. front bow and on the stern. I was having trouble and contacted Garmin. They advised me not to run both at the same time, as they would interfer with each other.

And they were right, No problems now running one at a time.

Just my 2 cents

John H

6. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    i guess i should have askedbefore i drilled holes ill have to be careful on the other side thats where the gas tank is thanks again

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Skinner, I mounted another transducer on the opposite side of my motor and I can not run both at the same time.I use a Lowrance lms 320 (4000w) and a Lowrance x125 (2400w). I do now of people that run 2 at the same time but I think they may have smaller wattage units.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lowrance makes a very nice switch so you can select which one you want to run at a given time.Go to the Lowrance website and click on the FAQ Sonar questions.There is a good explanation of what happens and how to adjust the "Ping" speed of Lorance units to eliminate this problem.::big_smile:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Two transducers on the same frequency will interfere with each other if they're located close enough to "see" each other's signals. There's no way for the transducer to tell whether the signal it's picking up is one it sent out or one coming from the other transducer.

Side by side on the transom is just plain not going to work unless they're using different frequencies. Most transducers these days are 200khz except for the dual-frequency models which are really intended for saltwater applications. So it's likely both of your models are on the same frequency.

Even if you spread them out as in by putting one on the transom and the other on the trolling motor, they may *still* interfere once you get into somewhat deeper water.

I have one on the transom and one on the trolling motor, and I'll get a series of solid vertical lines on both of them when the water gets over about 20 ft deep.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T check out Low:lowrances FAQ it tells how to eliminate those vertical lines if your units are Lowrance of course.:smile2:

11. Greg Walters

Greg Walters New Member

State:
    Alabama
    A week or two ago I was invited to stop by here and see if I could answer a question or two. Unfortunately I have not had the time to do so until this afternoon. So if I miss a few questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Skinnerbug,

Anytime you are operating two depth sounders at the same time that use the same frequency; you have the chance of getting sonar interference or ‘sonar cross talk’. Both the Humminbird FishFinder 565 and the Eagle Cuda 242 use the same 200kHz frequency. Now this is not a guarantee that you will or will not have this interference – it’s just a warning of the possibility that it could happen. Distances between transducers, water depth, bottom composition and water conditions all play a part in whether this will happen or not. Even if there is sonar interference you may not see it as there are automatic filters that may be able to tune this out. On FF565 there is a Noise Filter menu that is under the Sonar menu tab in the Main Menu System. You will need to be in the Advanced User Mode to have access to this. It has six settings; Off, Low, Medium, High 1, High 2, High 3. If you start seeing showing sonar interference on the FF565 you can try progressively higher settings on this menu until the interference is no longer seen. This does not eliminate the interference; all it does is tell the computer not to display the interference. When you use any sort of filtering (automatically or manually) to not show sonar cross talk, you also run the risk of not showing some of the weaker sonar returns as well. Some of these could be fish or baitfish.

Last week I ran two units (987c Si and a 787c2) that have their transducers mounted with less than two inches between them. I had to set the Noise Filter menu on the 787c2 to the “Low” setting and this eliminated all of the interference that was shown. I was on the lake for almost three hours watching both sonar units (not as much fun as it sounds) in anywhere from 2 to 80 feet of water and did not see any additional interference on the screen.

Doctor,

Setting a Humminbird unit to a different frequency will not help with sonar interference if it is so bad that it causes your digital depth reading to fluctuate. All you are doing when you select to display a different frequency is tell the computer to only display the sonar information from the different frequency. Since the interference will happen on the 200kHz frequency; selecting to display the 50kHz or 83kHz frequency will show no sonar interference from the other unit. However, the sonar interference is still there as both units will still be transmitting and receiving at 200kHz so that they can determine the depth of the water that you are in.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
    gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

12. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Greg,

No interference on my end I was just stating that in the deeper depths I get a better picture using the 83kHz, thanks for coming to the forum your advice will be very helpful.............Doc

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Greg Glad to see you made it over. I know you will be of great help on the board.
    Doc this is the guy that put up with all my Questions before buying my 987c SI. I would ask and he would tell me as it was. not what I would like to hear.
    For that I was thankful.

And Also glad to see Greg on here Fielding questions. I know we will all learn a lot from him.
    Now to get him to run up here and fish with me a day and show me how to run this unit . LOL
    Pete

14. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Greg,
    Do have a question for you on the Matrix 67 unit, very used to my Lowrance which paints a very clean picture on the screen whereas the Humminbird the lines are all fuzzy not clean, have worked with the contrast trying to clean it up, thought maybe the Lowrance was interfering with it, but thats not the case, the picture just looks blurry instead of crisp and clean, I've gotten used to it but just want to make it better, have marked fish with it and turned around and caught them so I believe what the unit is telling me, any suggestions, talked to Humminbird and they told me it was a contrast issue..........Doc

15. Greg Walters

Greg Walters New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Doc,

First off I would caution you that running two depth sounders can cause interference as some of what you are seeing could be sonar interference from the second unit.

Some of what you are seeing may be contrast related and some of it could be other things. Without actually being able to see your unit and have you point out what it is you are calling “fuzzy not clean” I’m just guessing. Can you e-mail me a Screen Snapshot of what you are seeing?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
    gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

16. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Greg,

Sure will send you a shot of the unit, I thought the same thing so I shut down the Lowrance unit and ran nothing but the Matrix still fuzzy, I have not upgraded the unit which is available on the web so as soon as I locate the cable I'll do that also........Thanks for your help.............Doc