Fish Finder

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Chalk, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I am going to purchase a new fish finder and was wondering what brand and model do you guys recommend? There are so many out there and technology has adadvanced greatly since I last purchased one so I'm not sure which one to get. Any advice to what seems to be working for you guys greatly appeciated.:wink:

2. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i like lowrance finders myself...i have the lms-522c igps...it's a color finder with built in gps and antenna...i know it's a lot of money but your finder (in my opinion) is the single most important thing to have in finding fish consistantly...the gps helps a whole lot because you can make waypoints and follow exact tracks and so on...and the color some may say is not needed but for me it makes it a ton easier to tell the difference between a tree or stump on the bottom vs a brush pile or hard bottom vs soft and so on...it's also fairly easy to navagate thru the finder menu...it has to be cause i'm able to use it:smile2:

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I love my new lowrance LMS 520-C. Get a good one i agree it is expensive but if ya take care of them they will pay for themselves putting ya on fish, marking spots, and using the gps to keep from getting lost on new lakes:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If you can the Lowrance LCX 113c HD is likely the most bang for buck. But it is several bucks, but worth it. It will do most everything but bait your hook.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I 2nd and 3rd everything they've said about Lowrance. It's worth the money!:big_smile:

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use the same unit as Foothills and Big Sam and I agree with what they have said about the unit.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    ...a man once told me he didn't need a fish finder but used a weight on a rope:crazy:

I would recommend any unit that has GPS mapping if you plan to fish lakes. It will help you answer the questions of where the offshore bite is. While it is true that the shoreline holds many fish, I have found catfish, especially blues are often found in the middle of the lake around structures that seem pretty insignificant until every time you go by you hammer the fish. A GPS mapping unit will take the blinders off and you will find patterns that you never knew existed and probably never would have found. Best thing is that you can revisit that area with no problem, just store it in the units memory. I think that is the most powerful fishing tool to come out in a long time and a heck of a hard thing to do with a rope and weight.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you are getting one that has a GPS, make sure that you get the detail that you want from the Mapping software(chip) for that unit. I use a Eagle 502c and like it. Its made by Lowrance and uses the same mapping software. Being able to split screen the map and sounder is a function that I like. I can see the bottom contours and read the bottom at the same time.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Just a thought on the detail. The latest Hot Map quotes 1 foot graduations on their enhanced lakes (Wylie is one). GPS at its best will give accuracy to about 10 feet. I always wondered what an enhanced map could do better except cause you to spend more money if you couldn't benefit from the increased resoultion. You don't really need the latest or greatest to do well--shop around.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A few bits of advice:

1) Spend as much as you can afford to spend. $150-$200 is not going to get you what you will need down the road. More money generally means more features. $450 is a good starting range for a quality depthfinder with GPS.

2) Be sure to get GPS. The uses are more than just a map when you get lost. Tracking speed is of critical importance when drift fishing effectively.

As for, [I]"...a man once told me he didn't need a fish finder but used a weight on a rope...", [/I]where is he now? :wink:

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I use the Garmin GPS Map 398c on my pontoon,it comes preloaded with the inland lakes,it is a pretty good unit for a fair price,i have been satisfied with mine,and of course with todays technology it has so many features its hard to learn all of it at once,it takes time on the water and playing with your settings to get a good hold of it,something i dont get enough time to do,i also have a lowrance x65 that is mounted on the trolling motor,not a bad unit either,just not color,as you can tell there are hundreds of options available,go with what suits your needs and just play with and learn it,maybe one day i will be able to get me one of those high dollar ones with all the bells and whistles and have the time to learn it too

I saw that fellow with the rope and weight,he was using it to pull a 78lb blue up to stumpy pond from cedar creek,if ya see him tell him i said duh huh,he will know what ya mean:crazy:

12. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Kevin the unit that Foothills is talking about is going to run you about $650 plus ship/hand. I have been looking at the same unit. I am going to get one sometime in January.:wink:

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Lots of good advice here and I agree with all of it.Lowrance is top of the line for the money and their costumer service seems to be real good too.

The one Foothills is got is one of the best for the money and right after the 2008 models come out you can find a 2007 models for real good prices.They get marked way down when the new year comes out.

14. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    is anyone planning on buying a 2008 mapping chip??...just wonder what will be on there that the 2007 don't have.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got an lms-337 cdf, which is basically last years version of the 527cdf, and I really like it. It give great detail and the mapping cards are readily available. However, when I fish with Roundhill he has the lcx111, I think, and that huge screen will spoil you for all others. :wink: Same features as mine, but much more screen, as well as built-in mapping and 2 memory card slots.
    I use the Navionics mapping (older version) as well as Fishing Hot Spots, and would like to try a 2008 Navionics premium before I buy. I don't know if there is a difference between 07 & 08 or not, mainly interested in Santee Cooper, Wylie, and Wateree.

16. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I have the Lowrance lcx-28c. I wanted to go to a color unit so I decided to get a combo to clean up the console a little. I really like the sonar part of this unit. But I don't like the gps much. I think that if I didn't have my garmin before, I would not have noticed it so much. The 28c does not read less than .36 mph. When I am drifting I like to see all the way down to .1 mph. My owners manual says this is the lowest that it will read. So it's 0 or .36 nothing in between. It's a little more aggravating to enter waypoints on the 28c. So I will be putting the Garmin back on today. I also bought the Fishing Hotspots card for the Garmin and it doesn't have Wateree or Blewett Falls on it. Has anybody else noticed this? There is just a big blank spot where Wateree should be.

17. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i have the garmin 398c,it comes with the preloaded inland lakes,but wateree is not in it either,i know its not on mapsource cd either,wish they would get it soon on a card,thats the main lake i fish and it would be nice to have:big_smile:,I guess i should say it is on there,just not the detailed version like wylie etc.

18. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a Lowrance 525-C. I like it fine, works great easy to use....I just wish I had a bigger screen......10" would probaly work..:wink:

19. Darren Twellman

Darren Twellman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another great thread. I need this type of info as I just ordered a new SeaArk and want to know the best bang for the buck. I am a firm
    believer in buying right the first time around.

20. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a Humminbird 787c2 and really enjoy it. I added the Navionics Hot Maps to get HD maps. I don't have any complaints except that the Gps is putting me off about 30 feet from where I'm supposed to be, but I believe that is due to where I mounted it. I had to reset the finder back to default because there are so many functions that being a dummy like me, I had the thing all screwed up. :confused2:

I've also been able to play with the Lowrance's that were forementioned and they are as good if not better. I understand, you want to do it right the first time and that's why it took me a month to decide on one.