Fish Finder

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jul 20, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    this question is for all you guys who catch the 30+ flat heads and blues, can you see the fish you catch on your fish finder? and when your fishing for the 3-10ib channels, can you see those on the fishfinder either?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin it all depends on the quality of the fish finder. Technology is getting better everyday. The quality and depth of the water plays a big part also. Experience from useing a quality depthfinder is priceless. You don't see a fish. like in a picture, you see and recognise an image holding on a fish structure. The new Hummingbird side imaging is probably the best on the market. I hope I was of some help.:smile2:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    A lot of it depends on where you're fishing and how you set up your finder. I have one of the side-imaging units Mickey referred to, but mainly use the side-imaging to ID structure. You can see scale fish in the water column, but can't pick out cats on the bottom with it.

In regular fish-finder mode if I'm fishing holes, I can see fish on the bottom on the finder and will usually only fish holes where I'm marking fish.

If I'm fishing shallow flats and sandbars, I just use the depthfinder to tell me water depth. Width of the sonar cone is not very wide (can't remember if it's equal to water depth, but it's something like that) so in 4 or 5 feet of water, you'd spook any fish out of the sonar window as you went over them, anyway.

Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!

Branden

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kevin, they are really depthfinders that will sometimes show fish. The best way to use a fishfinder is to read the manual through and through before starting with it. The manual has alot of good technics and tricks. Also for the beginner I suggest you use it more for locating good structure than for fish. When above a good piece of structure there should be some good fish on the finder as well. The best structure you can find for catfish is extreme depth changes. By this I mean a change like from 15 foot deep to 60 foot deep in a small span. If it is really shallow sloping like a large area that has quite a depth change it usually won't be as good as a sharp drop in the bottom like a rock ledge. I hope this helps. Vern

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried for years to get by with the fish finders in the $100 range and if all you want to do is know how deep the water is and see big schools of fish they are fine. I finally bought a Lowrance and put it on my boat. I river fish just about all the time and I'll tell you a good quality graph make a difference! I can see blues laying and suspending just above the bottom on breaks at the head of holes in the river. I can see shad schools in the water and it really helps in catching bait. Now flat heads are a different deal! They lay up in the nasty snag and log piles most of the time, so even the best graph would do you no good to see the fish. You have to know what to look for and spend some time on the water. I look for the biggest, nastiest pile of tree tops in a bend in the river. I look above the pile first trying to find a hole or gap in the logs. When I dont see anything on the graph I anchor up river from that spot. I tie just a weight on first and throw it out it make sure its clean. Then I put out the big baits, hand size perch or bigger or mudcats up to 8" work great. I then wait. When he hit though you have to turn him before he gets into the brush or he will be gone. The trick is to get the bait as close to the snag as you can but don't let your bait hang you up. If I have no luck there I will fish the down river side the same way. It take time on the water to get a good one some times. I use 5 hook set lines and fish them same way and catch many 30+lb fish. But I loose many doing this. It's tough fishing and needs tough tackle. I use 50lb big game, 3oz to 6oz weight, 4/0 to 7/0 hooks for pole fishing. I use #96 tarred nylon mainline, 2/0 swivels, #24 staigens, 9/0 and 10/0 090SS eagle claw hooks for the throw lines. I get several hooks pulled straight every year but it keeps me going back! LOL
    Spend some time with your fish finder and learn what your looking at on the screen and you will be set! Good luck