Fish finder

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dlongmo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do you guys know of a fish finder that works well that does not cost an arm and a leg? It will be used for finding these big cats we all dream of :big_smile:

2. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    danny depends on what you want to spend there are some cheaper ones out there that are pretty good just not all the bells and whistles:wink:

3. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    eagle makes some fairly inexpensive finders ck them out at wally word

4. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Yes, you can get a decent one that will work for a hundred to two hundred.

5. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    eagle cuda 168 is the cheapest one u can get. not to bad it shows water temp and a decent picture. not a lot of wattage so wont pick up good in really turbulent water but works very good in lakes:wink:

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hell i was readin either a dicks sport goods or academy sport mag and saw an eagle cuda finder for like 70 or 75 bucks. I thought man thats too hard to pass up. Next time your at Bass pro check em out. Good price for the deal.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I will tell you right now not to waste your money. If you want something to help you in your pursuit of catfish, you might as well spend the cash to get a good one, because whats gonna happen is your gonna buy a cheap one, then not like it, and end up buying a good one anyways..lol..Been there done that.

8. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    What do some of you guys use? I will be in turbulent water most of the time. I dont mind spending 2-300 but I just hate to go more than that. Well my wife hates for me to go more than that.:confused2:

9. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i have heard a lot of good things about lowrance, but i say any of them r good, i would say to get one with as many watts as you can afford, especially if u r gonna be using it on the river in swift current. that will help make sure u have a clear sonar screen no matter what the conditions, hope this is some help, i am by no means no expert.

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    go look at Lowrance at BP or a catalog--they are not that expensive and they are the best in my opinion--like the other guy said--don't get sometning cheap and you have to look at it for years and wigh you didn't have it--I tell my kids--wait unitl you can afford it and get the best you can afford and you won't be sorry -EVER:wink:

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

HI DANNY

my dad said he talked to ya for awhile up at the dam .

my honest opinion is save your money until ya can afford a good 1 you will just be mad at yourself with a cheap unit and ya will never be able to re sale a cheap unit and get much money back .
    ive been there and done that myself .

a good lowrance unit or eagle i hear both made by lowrance will be around 400 to 500 dollars . its worth the wait to get 1 !!!!

i founf my lowarnce X 15 on sale at cabales a few years ago for 350 $$ but its a old unit and not color .

now i want a color unit lol

but if ya can still find a X 15 or X 17 they should cost less ya can probably pick 1 up for around 350 or so like i did if ya can find 1 .

if not save your money and get a lowrance or eagle unit in color .

this is my opinion .

good luck bro :wink:

i know when lowrance comes out with the new side imaging unit thats what i will be saving my money for ... and some day will have 1

im gonna sell my bow flex and a couple of my guns to get 1 i think ..

12. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
  13. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ya I got a kick out of your dad he seems really knowledgeable on these cats and didnt have a problem giving me some good tips. I am going to go ahead and get a good one, oh and on selling that bow-flex, if your like me you never use it anyway.

14. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I agree with your decision to get a better one. In teh end you'll be glad you did. I would also suggest you consider a gps model for marking those honey holes you find. They definately are worth the extra expense. I started out the same way with a sub-$100 unit and gradually worked up to the one I have now. Can't say how much it was cause my wife does occasionally read these, but all told I coulda saved a lot of dough if'n I had skipped all the lesser models.