Fish finder?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Feb 11, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Question for you guys:

How many of you use your depth (fish) finder to find fish?

I mainly use mine to find the breaks or where the channel drops off or to try to find structure or baitfish.
    I don't seem to see fish very often on the river. When I'm on the resevour bass fishing I can see on my screen schools of crappie, I can see bass and catch them.

I just dont see very many fish on my finder when I'm on the river.

Any info?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I see the structure, baitfish, and big fish. I prefer to fish where I actually see the big fish but sometimes if the bait is strong enough ,I will give it a 30 minute try.

3. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    C'mon guys, I had hoped for more response than 1. Granted Keneth is the Super Kung Fu Grip (KFG) Master of the Catfish, I was hoping to generate a little more than one reply.

I would like to know if that expensive screen that shows little fish pictures is just a high priced depth finder.

PS. Anyone going out this W. end?

4. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I rely on my fish finder more for catching bait and locating structure than for finding fish. A lot of folks I know use it to mark fish but others don't really trust it. I have found the best results and most reliable readings you get are when you take it out of automatic. The main thing is knowing what you are seeing when it appears on screen. I think it is all a matter of trusting your equipment. Some folks get really frustrated when they mark fish, but don't catch any and that makes them think that the fish finder is unreliable. I think it may be us that are unreliable because we really don't understand what we are seeing when we see it.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm surprised you guys don't have one of those high-priced side-scan SONAR units! You know, the kind that will cast the "shadow" of that huge blue on the river bottom...or at least one of those fish cameras that let you look the fish in the eye before you hook 'em.

Oh, well, I suppose none of that investment is required to be a successful fisherman after all. (What you guys really need is a good sponsor! :smile2:)

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a sideview Humminbird 997 SI last Winter. I ususally fish with it set up with a split screen. One side is true Sonar and the other side is the side view. Its neat comparing the two screens and helps you figure out what you are looking at. I bought the GPS maps for tidal and coastal east coast USA so I can go fish anywhere on the eastern seaboard and not get lost in the fog. Pretty neat as I fish in the James, Pamunkey, Mattaponi, Rappahannock, Chesapeake Bay, and took a road trip to Harkers Island NC fishing for false albacore in October. I am so dumb and easily get twisted around. This unit helps me get back to port when I am fishing new water the first few times.

The only ouch is the price tag. Thank goodness I have two brothers that split the cost with me and the biggest plus is,,,,,,,,The boat lives at my house.:smile2: