Fish finder? When catfish are piled up do they bite?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by timbo, Jun 3, 2006.

1. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi i have all ways wanted to ask this question??????????most of all fish finders that i have seen working ,,like the other night with my buddy in his boat he was working the trolling motor and i was watching fish finder , and he would ask me if i see any fish !!!and how deep ,most of the time when i see one i see what looks to be 5-50 fish all sizes this cant be right,,,,some time 1 but most of the time lot,s and lots of fish so we try and (((guess what ,when we drop our lines (((( (0) fish not a thing ,,,no bites,,at all THANKS TIMBO :roll_eyes:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have come to the conclusion that when the fish are stacked up like this, they won't bite as well. I like to find a few just cruising in a small group in an odd place. This means that they are hunting food, and it generally pays off well. JMO

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We like to use the "Depthfinder" part of it more then the "Fishfinder" of you know what I mean. We find a spot that's likely to have fish, and just wait about 30-45 minutes, if we don't get good hits, we find, or move to another spot. So far, when we have first anchored up in a spot, there wouldn't be a lot of fish stacked up or anyting, maybe just one or two, and then we would wait and they would swim through all of the sudden.

Good luck!

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LOL!!

My fishing buddies and I have a theory that the computer chip automatically throws out some fish every now and then to make it look like something is out there!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is that there is no way to tell what kind of fish you are looking at. I have heard guides say "thats a catfish, or thats a striper", the truth is that they are guessing and you have no way of proven them wrong!!

Those schools may be catfish, bass, perch, crappie, or any other fish in the water column.

Depthfinders serve a couple of purposes for a serious fisherman:
    1) Water depth
    2) Bottom structure
    3) Locating bait schools
    4) Water temperature
    5) Navigation with GPS equiped models

Picking out fish to catch is asking a lot from a sonar unit, especially when you consider you are looking at a 60 degree cone under the boat. If you are casting a line out you are throwing it past the view of the sonar. If you are in 10 feet of water you are seeing a little over a ten foot circle.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    What it sounds like to me is that you have the fish symbol feature on.When thats on bubbles, rocks, trees, stumps and thermoclines show up as fish.The best thing to do is turn the fish I.D. off and the fish will show up as arches and you can distinguish between structure and fish a little better.

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I'm with Chrisb on this, my sonar is low end, it shows depth and structure fine, but if I trusted it on fish, I would be fishing for lots of moss and floating stuff especially after a storm, I think it shows most anything as fish cause I know their aren't that many fish in the lake. I mainly use mine to pick spots, the fish symbols are to entertain the kids in the boat. I understand that the high end units don't have this problem. I am putting one in the boat this week, so maybe things will change.

Jim

7. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim i like what you had up here because most of the time ,,,no fish THANKS TimBO