Fish finder problems.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ynnad40, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My fish finder just quit working. By working it still powers up but does not read anything on the graph or depth. I am guessing it is my transducer but im not sure. Is there a way to test my transducer? It is a Humminbird TCR ID-1. Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
    Danny

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    does the screen still show anything? like the startup or anything, i ask, cause my fishfinder just recently went out on me too, but it was the screen that went out, i just replaced the head unit and left everything still on the boat there.

3. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Everything powers up fine has back light and all it just won't take any readings or display them. Any Ideas?

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would say to see if anyone has a compatable fish finder on their boat and set yours on there cradle and turn it on to see if it is working right, if it works on the other boat then it prolly is your transducer.

the only other way to test it is to get a new transducer and plug it in to your unit to see if it fixes it

on mine, the backlight would come on, but it wouldn't display anything at all, not even the start up screen, thats why i asked.

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Had a 4 - ID yrs ago. Seems like it ran some sort of a self test with display prior to going into dept finder mode.....
    Should be at least Mode indicators or something to show the unit and screen are still good. The conections in them are some sort of an edge conector on a ribbion . couple times mine needed some pencil eraser clean up on these.

They have an execelent web site with manuals to down load and a tech number . Or at least they did when I needed it.

6. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Did some connector cleaning and had tested it today. It still goes through its test mode and powers up fine. I can only get it to work now but only when the trolling motor is running but I don't think the readins on depth are correct. I am going to try the website so thanks alot for the help. My guess now is the transducer, just because it works with the motor on causing vibrations. I think it is an internal sort or something.

Thanks for you help guys.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I have a problem with my humminbird too.
    Turn it on and it goes thru all the prelims but doesn't register anything else although it changes screens. If I get it set on 15 feet of water it goes to 120 feet by itself.
    Try powering it up and see if the transducer makes a clicking noise.
    Thats the transducer self check I think. Mine makes the clicking sound.
    I think mine has a stuck button.
    best of luck
    just

8. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Got and Eagle Cuda model and messed around and it stopped working, this is how i fixed it
    1. make sure the plug is all the way in the back ( no bent prongs etc.)
    2. flip thru our options and make sure the simulators not "on" ( got alot of strange reading etc. till i figured out the simulator was on.
    3. if you can see it visually check tranducer (if you ran thru a weed bed) you may have weeds blocking signal giving weird reading or no readings at all

hope this helps ~ it theres a way to break it i'm sure to find it ..:p