Fish Finder Powering Off On Its Own

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by RiverKing, Apr 6, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have used my new Lowrance 527c 4 times, everything is great with it, but yesterday I was out and it turned itself off twice....Any ideas of what or why this could be? I checked all the connections, they look good. I have the finder hooked up to my starting battery, it was reading 11.5 volts, which is a little lower than i normally have it, but there wasnt a problem turning the motor over, so i dont think it had anything to do with the battery. I really hope its not a problem with the unit.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd say that's a clue. Especially if your finder turned itself off when you were cranking the motor. Charge the starting battery and see if it keeps happening.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah I got a charge now that is about 12.7 volts so hopefully that is it.But it didnt turn itself off while I was cranking the motor...I turned the finder on, back into the water, looked over at the finder to see how deep i was and it had turned off....Then I started the boat later that day to move spots, and a few seconds after I started the boat, it turned itself off again.

4. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i suspect it is doing that to protect the unit from a voltage fluctuation. just a guess. call lowrance they are very helpful.

5. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a lowrance model that shuts off when starting the motor. What causes that?

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    CALL LAWRANCE !!!!!they have had this problem they will fix or replace the unit at no charge to you .i had to have mine done .

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've got an Eagle that does that once in a while, only while cranking the motor.:confused2:

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When your fish finder/sonar goes off and on, it is getting weak voltage. Eventho, you can start your outboard, the unit needs to maintain a steady current around 14 amps. I had the same thing happen to me and I took the leads off the starting battery and put them on my other battery. No problems since. Mac

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I just dont want to jump the gun by sending it to Lowrance if its just the battery or a connection or something..I charged the battery and will take it out again to see if it does it again...I got a 1 yr warranty on the finder, and just got it a month ago..If it keeps doing it, I will definantly send it in..We will see once I take it out again..With all the rain we are supposed to get, it maybe a while though:confused2:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
  11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It seems that the Lowrance models have a feature built into them that automatically shuts then down once the battery gets below 11.7 volts..That was my problem, my battery was down to 11.5 volts, so actually, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do...I got lazy on charging my batteries, and didnt charge them after the last few times I had gone out...So after finding out thats what it was, it makes me feel alot better. Thanks for the replys.

12. CATFISHcrazed

CATFISHcrazed New Member

State:
    ky
    sounds like a power supply problem to me... bad connection or a voltage surge... if you spike to high or to low for a second the unit will trip its self so not to cause damage and then come back on... i wouldnt have the finder turned on while trying to start anyway.. im assume'n that you have a small john boat and are useing batt.?

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good Luck with your LORANCE Matt !!!