fish finder, ohio river

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by hoppies56, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    looking to buy new sonar this spring ,I fish the ohio, kanwha river only, going to spend 400-500 dollars. need some opinions on best finder and power watts thanks hoppies56

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My personal preference in Lowrance, I run an x510c. Paid right at 500$ for it without a GPS last year, now with the new Lowrance HD units coming out, you can probably pick up an older model with Gps for under 500$

3. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for yhe info, i been looking at getting a x515c df lowrance,never had a lowrance always had a humminbird, are they user friendly. dont,t think i need a gps unit. thanks hoppies56

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes Lowrance units are really easy to operate, but most sonar systems are fairly easy, its just learning to interpret what you are seeing on the graph that takes alot of practice, trust me..:smile2:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC by the way

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I have the Lowrance x-135 unit. This unit can be bought for around $399.00 about anywhere and is very powerful unit in this price range. It has 4000 watts peak to peak power showing excellent bottom detal and well defined fish arches.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Welcome to the BOC

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome from Mo.

9. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for all the welcomes. still cant decide on new sonar for my pontoon, i have matrix huminbird on my 17ft for fisher. got the pontoon last summer has an old lowrance on it that does not work.is color that much better? do i need 4000 watts of power? so many models to choose from. thanks hoppies56

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Michael, welcome to the BOC. Not knowing what kind of fishing you do, it's hard to suggest the correct unit. Whatever you think your budget will allow after reading http://www.walleye101.com/choosing%20proper%20sonar.htm, then go up one grade higher. :wink:

11. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks blackwaterkatz, for the link on sonars, will put new sonar on a pontoon boat, we use this boat for catfish only,and will fish ohio and kawawha rivers. would like to spend no more than 500, so i should be able to get good middle of road unit. thanks again hoppies56