Fish finder installation on a kayak...POWER?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Dec 31, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I just received a Humminbird PiranhaMAX 220 for Christmas. Okay, I bought it, handed it to my wife and said, "Here, wrap this." On Christmas Day, she handed it back, unwrapped!

Anyway, I know that there are various options available for power, from a slew of AA cells to lantern cells to motorcycle batteries. Each have their advantages and drawbacks.

For you guys who have already tricked your yaks, what do you use for power and why?

I'm leaning toward the motorcycle battery since I have a good enough charger, but I don't want acid everywhere if I get upsot.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I put the AA batteries in mine and still have over 40% battery after 6 trips. I do generally turn it off when I find a spot though. Then turn it back on when I move. I did run it for 7 hours straight the first day mapping the lake. works good for me. I do have one complaint. The long transducer wire. its around fifteen feet. just more clutter in the yak. I use the AA bateries because they go right in the carrier and it light weight. Few pounds when carrying all your gear make a differace..

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the good information, Matt. I'll start with the AA batteries and go from there.

You are right about the cable length. I figure I'll keep it coiled like they supply it, pulling off just enough from both ends to reach where I want it.

I assume that you mounted the transducer in the hull. If so, did you just use the marine Goop, or epoxy? Have you noticed any temperature reading problems?

You know, it seems like I already know these answers, having read them in an earlier thread...oh well!

Happy New Year!

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use a 7 amp hour rechargeable battery designed for hame alarm systems. Smaller and lighter than a motorcycle battery plus they are sealed so you can leave it in the boat even if you store or carry your yak on its side. It will run the fishfinder for several trips before needing a recharge. got mine from radio shack but I think home Depot or Lowes might carry them.
    For install of the transducer I used Marine Goop. Be very careful not to get bubbles under the transducer or it will not work correctly if at all. For goodness sakes DO NOT CUT the transducer cable. It is used as an RF transmission line and is cut to a specific lenght to match the frequency of your fish finder. It may still work but it will suffer reduced transmitter power and accuracy .

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Mines got a suction cup on the transducer and I just stick it to the bottom under the seat when I get in the water. I try to keep everything removable on the kayak since it really isn't made for fishing. Its a 10 foot perception sit in yak and I take it in white water from time to time. so eveything I use is held in place with clamps, rod holder and what nots.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I thought mine was a 220 but its a 215 heres a picture of the unit and the transducer

Attached Files:

• 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Did you get your ff mounted? How did you do your transponder? try it out yet?

8. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I finally settled on a convenient solution similar to Jerry's. I found sealed lead acid cells at Home Depot that are used in emergency lighting systems. You find the cells in the lighting section of the store, near where the flourescent light parts are sold. Since these cells are sealed, they never leak and are maintenance free...but they are rechargeable!

I actually had a choice between smaller 4.5 amp/hour cells and somewhat larger 6.5 amp/hour cells. I went with the larger, considering that I have plenty of forward hatch room available. The total battery weight is still under two pounds. They are no more heavy than two six-volt lantern cells.

Two cells are required since they are only six volts apiece. I connected them in series to provide twelve volts, then wrapping them together with duct tape to form a single battery.

The spades on each cell accept standard spade clip connectors sold in the electrical department. Throw in a pack of spade connectors and crimp connectors for the wire, and I still spent less than $30.

I figure $30 isn't a bad price for a rechargeable and dependable power supply! :roll_eyes:

9. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I decided to go with 8 AA,s because you can use them for pretty much everything. I never want to get caught out in the dark with a flashlight and dead battries again.

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Good point, Alan.

Welcome to the BOC! :0a25:

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Like I said earlier I use a rechargeable alarm battery but since reading some comments here I am gonna build a battery pack that uses 8 "D" cells. That would let me carry spares that would work in the flashlights and portable weather radio as well have emergency power for fishfinder. Good ideas guys, thanks

12. yakdievr

yakdievr New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a sealed 7 amp hour. I run my Eagle 320c constantly when on the water. I also wired in a 12v cig lighter for my bait tank and or lazy man fillet knife. With depth finder on always and cycling the bait tank it will last 2 eight hour days and its 2 years old. On longer dive/fishing trips i bring a cheapo converter 20 bucks and charge when needed.