fish finder help

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by viperdragon6662003, Feb 24, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    I was wondering i found out why my finder does not work i have a broken cable is there anyway i can fix this. as in solder it back together or do i have to get a new transducer with wire already on it. thanks for any feed back

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SPLICE IT BACK TOGETHER, BUT THAT IS NO GAURANTEE. YOU COULD GIVE IT A SHOT, AND IF THAT DOESNT WORK THEN YOU MAY HAVE TO BREAK DOWN AND BUY A NEW TRANSDUCER.

3. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    ok if i do that how can i test it without puting it in the river cause it is really cold out still

4. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    could i just fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and test it that way

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have soldered them several times. Just be sure to clean the connections well and be sure there is plenty of insulation between the wires of the splice. I try to use shrink tubing on each separate connection and then another shrink tube to cover the whole thing. I have never had to fully test one out of the water and they all worked just fine. However, just turning the unit ON after you reconnect it will show you "something" to tell you it's working better than it was. If you get no results at all, the transducer is probably bad, or the main unit is bad.

6. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    thanks for the reply that is what i was looking for someone that has done it before and never had any problems thanks

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I forgot one little detail.

Use solder made for ELECTRONICS and radio connections.

I usually get mine from Radio Shack, but Lowes, etc; probably has it.

I never tried using regular solder, so I can't advise the use of it for this repair.

8. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    ok thanks ill have to see if i can get some i just wire it all together and it seams to work so ill have it get some