fish finder blues

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Big Vic, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well I finally got the big boat out last night to do some all night fishin !! Wish now I would have stayed home !! :angry: I checked everything and I mean everything ( so I thought ) before we left put in, motor wouldn't start,finaly got it going and headed out then the fish finder went out, never to return again !! Ok so now I happen to look back and no water coming from the outlet for the water pump !! First reaction SHUT THE MOTOR OFF !! Yep you guessed it wouldnt start again. After messing around for a while and some poking with a small piece of wire I found got the motor going and the mud dobber nest out of the water pump outlet, Needless to say by then I was very pissed !!Any way was looking on ebay for a different fish finder and there are like thousands of them seems like. So I'm looking for advise on a new one with out going broke, which I pretty much already am !! I seem to talk with all you Kansas boys more than anybody else and trust your opinions so whats your thoughts, what do you use ? your help is greatly appreciated I have had this humminbird wide 100 for a long time and liked it ok. Would like to have a color unit but they look expensive, dont know anything about what the best is for power or pixels. Thanks

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Sorry to hear you had a not so good trip but look at the bright side you weren't at work. I wish I could give you good advice on FF but I use about the cheapest one you could buy, because all I really want to know is depth and where the structure is. If you like the one you had you probably cant go wrong with getting another one.

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would do that Casey but the last time I needed a new transducer I was told that this unit was not made any more I'm afraid it has become out dated !! That has been a couple of years ago What do you have I basicly use mine for the same purpose

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I OWN A LOWRANCE x 15 and it is really all you need i have the gps and chip for my area also got mine at cabelas a few years ago for 350 $$ they ordered a whole pallet of them in mistake for the color unit X 17

if you want color the X 17 should be around that much money to by now because they have up dated many times sence then

both these units have more then plenty of power and pixels , i can find shad using this unit and after a guide helping me with it i can pretty sure even tell what size they before i get out the throw net either babies 1 to 3 inches look different then the 6 to 12 inchers.

and i use the map in new water to see the channel and gps to mark key locations and structure so the next time i go just be able to follow my trail and drive within feet of them

this is a awsome feature to have for night fishing just turn on your map and follow the same way back to the ramp as when u left like driving a car on the road. never get lost again lol

Trust me im know expert but for the money its all i feel i need lowrance is a great product for me so far.

sure you can get a cheap unit for a 100 $$$ but if you can and i know times are tuff and you may not have the 300 to 400 $$$ for this kind of unit but believe me its worth the extra money !!!!

i dont feel at all a 2000 $$$ unit would improve my fishing from this unit but i agree they are neat and if i could burn 2000 $$$ i would have 1

as far as pixels lol my boat is kept down at my dads and i dont remeber but i think its 450 or 650 pixels unit and 3000 watts

you might call bass pro and ask. or look up lowrance.com and see all the units and features .

5. krazyCat

krazyCat New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Big Vic, I recently purchased a boat that had the same hummingbird fish finder on it, and also a Eagle Magna III Fishfinder. When I went to the lake to test both fish finders out, I could not get my hummingbird to work. The fishfinder turns on but will not read depth. I was told to buy a new transducer cable and see if that works. Back to the Eagle I like the easy operation of this unit. Good luck on finding a new fish finder.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'm using an eagle cuda 128. You should be able to find them for around $50 used. Nothing fancy about it but it does the job. I bought mine because that is what most of the kayak guys i chat with used and liked. It's easy to use, waterproof, tough, runs on 8 AA batteries. The cuda 168 is the next step better. Pretty much same options with better resolution. around $120 new.

7. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    If you just use it as a depth finder. Check and see what Wal-mart has on sale.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think I cought my eagle cuda 168 on sale for 69.99 they are now 79.99 easy to use, cant really review it because ive only had it out a couple times. but it seem to do ok. bass pro has gear gard warranty were they repair or replace your stuff.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have a Hummingbird 535 on one boat, it's a 20 degree unit, it's ok and affordable (bout 150), I have 2 on the other boat, Hummingbird 565 it is a 60 degree unit that basicly tells you if the fish are under you or off to the sides, otherwise it'd just like the 535 I have (bout 200). I just got a Lowrance 522i GPS, I love it, it's a 20 degree sonar and color (bout 650). If you fish at night(especially on unfamilliar water GPS is way cool). I'm not unhappy with the less expensive hummingbirds, but I sure like the Lowrance.