Fish Finder Advice

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welkmeister, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    If you guys were in the market for a fish finder what would you get? I have a Garmin 160 now and I can't ever find baitfish or see the thermocline like the book says I should. Not sure if I don't have it set right or if there's another problem. Have used it with the sensativity set high but that seems to clutter the screen with noise. I've heard it said many times that the detail you can see is directly related to how much you pay for the unit.

What's the preferred brand and model you guys use to find bait?

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I just purchased a Humminbird and love it! Seems alot of guys here either have a Lowrance or a Humminbird. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one! :big_smile:

Also depends on how much you are able to spend on one. That makes a difference as well.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I love my Humminbird 365. Affordable, easy to read, and easy to install.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Boy isn't that the truth! stlcatman and I installed our new fishfinders at the same time. I have a Humminbird and he has a Lowrance. I was finished well before he was. The Humminbird is like a "plug-n-play". Super easy to install!

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I run an lowrance LCX17M and seem to like it, especially like the GPS, run up river in the light and following your waypoint back is excellent. If I was to buy a new one now, it would be the Hummingbird with side imaging.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im a humming bird guy !:wink:

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I also have a Lowrance 17m and it's a heck of a lot better than the cheap units that my dad and friends dad have always used. It's now wonder they don't put any faith in there fish finders.

I'm planning on getting a GPS unit for mine also because there's been a few times at night that the fog set in and it was VERY SLOW going back to the dock. :confused2:

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are all good as it depends on what you want to pay for technology just like with our computers. Ive got a Bottomline that does just fine. Nothing fancy with a good size screen.

9. T.O.CAT

T.O.CAT New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i had a lowrance lcx 20c it is a nice unit but have since bought a 997 humminbird it is a great unit in my opinion

10. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i have an eagle 320 that i have not used yet has anyone been around these units? it was in my opinion cheap compared to the rest at only 120 bucks. i bought it before i even thought about running on the MO. it was mainly just for depth purposes now i think i may have to upgrade.

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Depending on your money, I would go with the Lowrance or Humminbird.
    Personally, I think Humminbird makes the best black and white units.
    As far as color units go, I don't think you can beat a Lowrance. As far as the side imaging goes, no doubt it is sweet, if you have the money for it, go for it. I just don't like Humminbirds 2D sonar picture compared to the Lowrance's. If I had the money, I would have both. A Humminbird for side imaging, and my Lowrance for my 2D sonar. I have the Lowrance LCX-27C right now.:roll_eyes:

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I just bought and installed a humminbird 787c2i on my tracker. Haven't even had it on the water yet. I'll probably run it a year and then get a side imaging if I ever get to see one on someones boat in action in shallow water.
    I probably should have bought the SI now but I didn't. Heres a couple of pictures I hope. first two are the unit mounted down low so my Sara can see it from the back seat. #3 is the transducer. My next post will be some of the boat inside-pole holders-winch-rod racks on the sides.

Attached Files:

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    a few more pictures:

Attached Files:

14. spikespack

spikespack New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have a Humminbird 997Csi and it is an astounding peice of technology! The capabilities of this unit are amazing! I am still seeking that 100#+ though that will show up in great detail with the side imaging. It gives you the ability to actually see the bottom and structure as though they drained all the water and you go over the area in a balloon looking down!! Pricey? YES! But in my opinion, it's the finest available and worth every penny!!

15. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I'M also a Humminbird man I've used the LCD 4000, Vision 3D and now the 997si

16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a Humminbird 787c2i in my big boat and I also have a black and white Humminbird 565 in my smaller boat. I like them both! I may upgrade to the 997 unit with side imaging next year. :wink:I just dread going through getting a new unit and getting it set-up on my boat!!!:tounge_out:

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i just put a 797 si on my boat, so far i just love it. wanted to get the 997 but after putting a four stroke and a new auto pilot-co pilot trolling motor plus new batteries, and batt. charger on my boat i went to the 797. im planing on putting a 997 on next yr. & moveing the 797 to the front of the boat. i think what ever brand you get you need to get the maps pre loaded in to it.

18. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I really like my hummingbird. wish it had gps