Fish fertilizer for bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by mudfarmer, May 27, 2007.

1. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    has anyone had luck using the soluble fish flour(basically powdered fish) they sell for gardening in their bait mix? it seems stinky enuff ,and should leave a nice scent trail as it dissolves. think i'll mix a little in some punch bait next time out and see if there's any noticable difference

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Never tried it personally, but give it a try it'll prolly work.:cool2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wade give this a good try and report back your findings. Try it with and without for a fair test.:lol::smile2:

4. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I have have used fish meal as bait for shrimp. It should work as a "chum" type bait for cats. For shrimping we found a good clay bank and mixed the fish meal (about 50-50) with the mud/clay and made mudpies a coupla inches thick and big as your hand. Scattered 'em around our tagged pvc poles and waited a few for the shrimp to find the bait. we always caught a lot of baitfish in the cast net with the shrimp so it should work on cats. sounds like a good idea. One word of advice...making the bait balls was as messy and as much work as catching the shrimp (we usually made 60-80 at a time) I tried pre-making the bait balls but they were hard to transport and keep the right consistancy. In smaller batches it may be easy to mix up a few and try in your favorite hole

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Fish meal would be a good additive, but remember the fish meal comes "after" the oil has been extracted...Someone correct me if I'm wrong....Dwight

6. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What about trying the liquid fish fertilizer instead? That is some rank stuff right there!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Larry, I've seen the fish meal mixed with crushed oyster shell and tossed out for shrimp chum also. Didn't seem that messy to work with. They didn't try to make any kind of pie or ball with it because it was too dry. They just took a handful or two and spread it out, like sowing grass seed. Walk down the bank a ways and repeat the process. Let it set for a while then toss the cast net. Worked great.

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've used the liquid fish fertilizer, with cornstarch and flour like a dip bait it worked on the small 1/2lb to 1 1/2 lb channels but never ahd anything bigger take it.
    Loop

9. chisamsr

chisamsr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My daddy use to make this catfish bait out of Wheaties corn syrup and whiskey, he would make it the night before we went fishing and all 8 of us boys would sneak down in the frig and eat it:big_smile:

10. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Chisamsr,

How did the bait work? Or did Ya'll eat it all?? LOL

Thanks,
    Drew