Fish eggs

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a question, anyone eat catfish eggs? My grandfather would add catfish eggs to his scramble eggs in the morning........also a friend of mine his Mom requested that while we were fishing for crappie, if we caught some with eggs to bring her some. Boy, she didnt know what she was asking for........lol we caught over 500 crappie in a week and 1/2, not only did we bring her about 10 lbs worth of eggs but about 250 filleted crappie as well.

Just wondering.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,I love fresh catfish or crappie roe ,fried with scrambled eggs,Just dont fry em without puncturing the egg sac ,they have been known to explode in the skillet .

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I like Perch and Gill eggs big time.

Alot of them can be strong tasting...some can kill ya, like Gar Eggs so be carfull.

:crazy:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Mullet roe. mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ONE THING I DONT CARE FOR IS FISH EGGS. I HAVE IN THE PAST TRIED TO FRY THEM. VERY BLAND AND DIDNT CARE FOR EM. THOUGH I TRY AND TOSS BACK FEMALES WITH EGGS SOMETIMES YOU JUST CANT TELL.

NEVER TRIED THEM WITH CHICKEN EGGS. IM GAME FOR IT NEXT TIME THOUGH. I TRY AND USE MOST ANYTHING I CAN WITH GAME. NEVER BEEN MUCH ON ORGANS. BUT EGGS. ILL GIVE THAT A SHOT NEXT TIME I FIND ONE WITH EGGS.:wink:

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    This reminds me of a funny story I experienced in Canada. Our group had caught a mess of Walleye. One of the guys was a prankster and said fish eggs were great to eat. We thought he was crazy, but he talked us into trying them. He fried them up like a chicken fried steak. I tried it and it wasn't bad, but I won't make it a habit of eating them. Come to find out the little SOB had never tried them himself. My wife's grandfather used to eat Carp roe all the time.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some friend huh? I tried them once, with eggs, not bad. I was in East Berlin, when it was "East" Berlin and they had a nice restaraunt, and they served us a seven meal, they brought us Caviar, I tried it, did not like that one bit, to salty, at that time the 7 course dinner, to include one of the best steaks I have ever eaten, plus 6 bottles of the best wine they had cost us 40 dollars for 4 of us! That was back in 1991.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried both red and black caviar, and while red isn't bad, the black is definitely better. I really liked it.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yep...never have bought the stuff, but my brother-in-law is filthy rich. Great stuff!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My wife and I went on a cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary, and they had it at the buffet. Also had palm heart salad....YUM! Even better than the caviar.

11. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    I love the roe from pan fish, bass etc, was camping on an island one time and treid frying some channel cat roe and it was not the same as the roe from the pan fish. That was tweny some years ago and it still gives me the heebee geebie's:0a30:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive tried caviar a few times. To much salt for me. Would be better with habanero. :cool2:

13. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i used to eat catfish eggs quite often at my grandparents house as a child.(early sixties) they didn't seem bad at the time. you have to understand though that they were just poor folks that lived in the mountains of southeastern oklahoma. if it bled they ate it. some of the things i ate there were terrible. a lot i didn't know what was. so maybe that is why the catfish eggs tasted o.k.

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    the roe from gar is toxic to humans. Anyone familiar with this one?:eek:oooh:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard that. Personally, I think I'd treat all the insides of a gar just like a saltwater puffer fish...poisonous. I've never eaten gar, so I can't comment on how they taste, but puffer is delicious; we 'cleaned' them by splitting the skin on the back and filleting out the meat without ever opening the body cavity. Maybe doing something similar with gar would be the safest way to go.