Fish Eating NEWS

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by The Penn Slammer, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes very interesting indeed!! Catfish are low in mercury content, didn't know that.

2. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    according to the DNR catfish r not low in mercury content in our two closest rivers the great pee dee and the little pee dee there are signs up at every landing

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good point made, Brian, but actually those signs are posted by SCDHEC. I think the article linked above makes a comparative statement; catfish tend to be lower than some other species. Each body of water has it's own levels and advisories. Mercury levels seem to run higher on water that has a lot of swamp or marsh drainage, too. The Santee Cooper Lakes System is one of the cleanest around, as is the Savannah River drainage, while other area waters vary to some degree or other. In South Carolina, the advisories have been posted at area public ramps, or can be accessed online at http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/water/fish/map.htm. :big_smile:

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    them pd fish are alright after you get the mud out:big_smile::wink:

5. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I read that article today and was surprised to see catfish on the top of the list of safer fish to eat. Because the big ones are at the top of the food chain, they are large predatory fish. I think the statement should be carefully evaluated, conditionally, because if you are eating a giant flathead in Michigan he is a very old fish that has eaten his share of other mercury containing fish (which I understand builds up over time in the predatory fish), completely different than USA farmed catfish which eats puffed grain.

I only eat small channel cats from a man-made lake stocked by the Department of Natural Resources, so I am not worried.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The trick is to keep the the alcohol and nicotine content in your body up to a level to neutralize any mercury consumption............

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lets not forget Caffeine.!!!Mercury is a very expensive metal that is hard to make and process.At death the human body is worth about 4$ in chemicals,metals, minerals etc.SO if you eats lots of mercury infested fish your net value goes up which could help defray your funeral expenses.This will make your family happy because then they would have more to inherit.There is a silver lining to every dark cloud even if the silver is actually Mercury.:smile2::big_smile:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Eat the smaller fish.

I am sure that the catfish they are talking about are farm raised fish, not 15+ pounders out of local lakes. Most good restaurants will not buy or serve big catfish. :wink:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Isn't it kind of funny how every pole seems to reflect the attitude and opinion of the person conducting the pole? I think all fish are poisonous. All fish stink, even while cooking. Brrrr, just the thought of that smell. The only think good about catfish is releasing them, big or small. LOL