Fish during the winter

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Mar 2, 2007.

Fish for cats during the winter?

1. No, looking forward to this spring

2. Yes, only blue cats

3. Yes, whatever bites

4. I have tried

5. I fish year-round

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Spring is coming up, and some of you are ready to start fishing - but some have been fishing all winter. Let's see who is doing what...

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I admit that I am a wimp when the weather is cold. You won't catch me doing much of anything outside unless the temp is above 45. Did some late fall fishing when it was 35-40, and I was miserable, and didn't catch any fish. Went ice fishing a couple of times, had fun, but still would've rather been somewhere else that was warm.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Haven't been out much, but I've been out every month so far(except this one-but going Sunday).

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didnt get to fish at all this winter. Our lakes are so low we cant get in really. The one time we did put in, it was 40 outside, and i spent 2-3 hours tring to catch bait and even the bait skunked us.

5. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I'll fish rain, sleet, or snow. High water, low water, hot, cold, subarctic.
    You'll never catch anything sittin on the couch and ni love to be outside. And if Im outside no better way to spend my time than to wet a line. Poor weather, less fisherman. That and a fish has to eat you know.

Dru

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The only time I slowed down was when the temps dropped into the single digits for a week and a half.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am looking forward to spring.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I try to get on the water whenever the weather braks during the winter time. Usually the blugill are hitting then. Wish I could find the crappie though.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I used to fish year round but now the cold hurts my neck and back too much to go.I still will go some though(when I can take enough meds to counteract the pain)

10. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've tried and gotten skunked every time I went out. I wasnt able to find any shad for channels so I used bluegills. I dont know when its this cold out like it is in Illinois, that they are looking for large chunks of bait rather than a smaller portion.

11. cashcat

cashcat New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Tryed it last week. went to a couple lakes but too much ice . so ended up on a small river . it was up from the snow melt, and moven pretty fast. dident have any luck,anditwas a lil cold , but i was living it up . just nice having a poll in the water again!!!

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If they are biteing It don't get to cold or bad

13. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I've always wanted to try ice fishing, so I did this year... sort of. Several weeks ago when it was still cold, I went to the Dillon Nature Center in Hutchinson and fished through holes in the ice someone else had drilled. Since I didn't have an auger, I used a shovel to re-open them. I caught two 10" trout that day. A week ago Friday I went back after the ice had melted and caught a limit of 5. I was going to go yesterday,but it was just too windy. I'll probably try again this week. I don't mind the cold, but the wind will just wear me out. Next year, I intend to get a lot more serious about ice fishing. I bought a hand auger and plan to buy a high qualilty pair of insulated coveralls and boots.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only time I slow down is for deer season.

I fished in a snow a couple of weeks ago!! That was awesome!!

I feel for the folks that are in the really cold areas though. The worst I have to face is the lower 20's in the mornings, and I know some of your folks get that for the highs!! :crazy:

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive iced fished only once, and I had a bad experience. Id rather wait till the snow and ice is gone, personally. Kudos to those of you who do ice fish!

So come on spring!!!!

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im waiting for it to hit 50's Im a wimp :big_smile: . Ill go out in any month but the temp has to be nice for me.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will fish in winter ,If the temps arent too bad and if its dry with ilttle or no wind,all those years of being made to work in it has made me not want to even be out in it. When I was younger and got a snow day I would allways be out in it hunting ,now if the weather is bad I'm content to stay inside and keep warm.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    come nov.i take a brake for deer season then i go back fishing.when the water temp. goes below 50 i switch channels put up the long poles and dig out the ultra lites.its walleye catching time.soon as the water makes it back into the 50s its catfish time.my wife says im fishing and huntimg myself to death.i say what a way to go.johnnie

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i'm lookin forward to the spring but i would go fishin in the winter just aint found anyone to go wit me.

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Spring, summer and fall will fins me on the water a LOT. Usually between 20 and 30 hours a week.

Winter is rough on me, but I still get out a little bit.