fish/depth finder

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rjmorris, Mar 31, 2009.

1. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a friend just got a small jon boat, and i was wondering what is a good fish finder that's not too exspensive, or something i need to look for when buying a used one. i dont think he's looking for anything state of the art mainly just trying to find some of the deeper holes in some of the rivers around the easley area.

thanks
    rich

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'd suggest an Eagle from Wal-Mart for $100/$150. Mine serves me quite well on my skiff.

Bill in SC

3. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Rich,
    I have an Eagle Cuda on my boat that works good out to about 50 feet deep. It still works deeper than that, but I don't seem to see as much bottom detail. I have a more expensive Eagle on the bow, but like the Cuda better at shallower depths. It also has surface temp reading built in.

The Cuda is on sale lots of time for $68 at Walmart and The Academy.

God Bless All,
    Steve

4. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Rich you can get a hummingbird they good also, the price isn't bad works great.:cool2::wink::smile2:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Depending on how his boat is set up (battery?) he might want to consider a portable. They come with a little battery pack and the transducer attaches to the transom with suction cups. I have been using one for years, even though my new boat has the batteries and everything. (I did put a couple of bolts on the transom so I can attach the transducer with wing nuts instead of the suction cups.) I like it because I can switch it from one boat to another, and nothing stays on the boat to go bad in the weather or get messed with. I had a Humminbird first, but the transducer eventually went bad and now I have an Eagle that has been great. Both were just over $100.

The batteries are no big deal. The Humminbird ran on 2 lantern batteries. The Eagle uses 8 D cells. Both would last all season on one set of batteries.

6. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just waned to say thanks for everyones help and advice, so should i buy something new, or is buying used alright?

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  8. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Rich it's better to buy one new' that way you will know that it works if it don't work you can take it back,:cool2: an want lose any money:eek:oooh: