Fish coming threw dams?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 24, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey ya'll. I have read and heard that Catfish as well as other types of fish can come threw dams. Apparently they go right past the turbines and everything. Also I read that fish come over the "floodgates" at the dams. I find this to be pretty intresting. I noticed that a few years ago when there was ALOT of rain in the spring. They opened the floodgates and dam almost wide open for like months. And then the summer of that same year I started catching big blue cats in the river that is below the lakes and of course it is serperated by a dam. So I'm thinking that they probaly came over the floodgates and threw the turbines at the dam. Considering the blues we all the sudden started catching were like 30-40lb. And there was lot's of them too.

So, what are your opinions on this? What do you know about it?

Zakk.:)

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Zakk when I was in Texas I used to fish lake texoma quite a bit and I noticed other boaters gathering below the dam when the gates were open.

I went in to and sure enough the fish were coming thru the turbines and I started catching some there to. I also scooped them out of the water with a net.
    When they come out it kind of stuns them for a few seconds and some it would destroy.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow! Man there must have been a ton of fish coming threw there. Thank's for your input man.:)

Anyone else have any input on this?....Thank's, Zakk.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well i know around the places i fish it is a commomn occurance. there arent many hydro electric dams around my neck of the woods so there are no turbines. they are just flood control gates and i have seen fish come through some of them. interestingly enough, i have seen more fish swimming through them to go upstream than down.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmm.....intresting. I bet they were swimming upstream in the spring? Just like they naturally would in a river. They are supposed to be building little "Ramps" or something at the dams around here soon for the eels and stripers and stuff so they will be able to swim upstream from the river all the way threw the lakes. And then I guess they can come back down to the river too. Just like they would naturally if they had not put dams on the river and created the lakes that are there now.

Zakk:)

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Zak, they call them "fish ladders". They're used a lot for migrating fish.
    They are kinda like a sluge. It sorta slows down the water flow and gives them somewhere to get a "bite" in the water to swim up it.
    Theres one where I cast net for shad during migration periods here.
    heres a pic of a larger one. Basiclly it's a stepped water fall.

Attached Files:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    OOHHH....thank's Keith. I cant wait for them to build one where I fish. It should really help the fishing in the lake I fish. The american shad and hickory shad, and stuff will go into the lake in huge schools I guess. And I would think the big blue's and stripers will be munching down on them. And those shad are usually big too. So that should help with the growth rates, I would think?

Thank's, Zakk.:)

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I Dont Know If It Was Caused By The Dam Or Not But I Caught A 20lb Blue A Couple Years Ago That Had 2 Inches Cut The End Of Her Nose. It Was A Fresh Cut But Look Pretty Nasty. It Was In A Small Lake With Not Much Boat Traffic But I Guess A Boat Could Have Done It. It Look Like The Fish Was Layed Down And Cut Straight Across With A Bush Axe. Wish I Had My Camrea That Night.

9. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive never done much fishing near dams but plan to now that i have a boat. From what ive been told the baitfish get stunned as they drop (probably have brain damage and swim in circle LOL) and the larger fish have learned that this happens, recognize when the dams are open and feed heavily in front of the dams.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I think anythings possible, although i think it's highly unlikely that larger fish like 20-30 lb blues would pass over the floodgates and/or go through the turbines uninjured. I have heard that when the floodgates are open, there are more shad/other baitfish that get chopped up and knocked out and such though which proves to be easy pickings for larger predators like catfish and stripers... they will apparently stack up below the dams to get the easy meals, which makes sense... almost like a drive through for catfish...

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen some big flatheads come thru the discharge chutes at small dams on lakes, and lots of them.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never seen or heard of a Fish Ladder. Thats sort of neat, thanks for posting that.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those ladders are a great idea for migrating fish. they are about to rip out some lowhead dams around me for that very reason.

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    well a 110 pound woman when threw the turbin here and lived so i dont see any reason y a catfish woulndt live going threw it iv seen big spoon bills comming up in the boils before

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    That makes me wonder what else comes over the top of the dam ? An older friend of mind caught the biggest flatty iv'e ever seen on a nightcrawler on a night when the dam was open. I would guess he was waiting for food to come over the top like everyone is saying and the worm fell in his face. Only reason I can find for a 60+ pound flathead to eat a 2" nightcrawler. I can still remember laughing at him for fishing with the worms... needless to say, he got the last laugh out of that one.

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i dont exactly what kind of dams that everyone has but if a catfish comes across the flood gates where i live ....... well he just commited suicide.... some of these in north carolina are tall like 150-200ft.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have stood and watched as the boil of water starts to surface all kinds of fish are visible.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes I'm from NC too. And one of the dams I'm talking about has floodgates about that size.....Kerr Dam......but the experts say that the fish come right over those things and when the waters flowing they dont get killed.

Thank's for the input everyone.:)

19. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Our dam the water comes out of the bottom. Theres only two flood gates which are always closeed the turbine water comes out of the bottom of the dam. The Chattahoche river is only two feet deep at the discharge. The water may rise another two feet when the water is running. You guys think there would be any point in fishing the dam?

20. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Creteus, I dont see why not. The baitfish should be getting pushed through that just the same and I don't see why the big cats wouldn't be waiting on them...