Fish Cleaning Stations

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catseeman, May 17, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One of the lakes i like to fish has fish cleaning docks . when you clean fish they are discharged straight into the lake.
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I figure the other fish in the lake will take care of the remains. I bet there's some descent fishing near that area.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ditto,sounds like a great spot to target.

4. I kept a cleaning table on the pier at the old place and would dump straight into the river. After pulling up a 20 snapper that had chewed his way into the basket I used to hold bait I decided the waste was better used as chum near my lines.
    Dumping straight off the pier is fine but don't put anything in the water you don't won't to lose to turtles.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It would be ok, but the turtles would be hard to contend with.

7. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I agree ecologically I don't feel that theres a problem. However I bet they grow some of the largest turtles around.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    several of the lakes I fish have cleaning stations but they dont dump back into the lake. They haul it off.

9. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    My friend who operates the local bait & tackle shop was talking about building a cleaning station behind his bait shop. I was thrilled to hear this!
    I told him I would be gathering the scraps and freezing them as fast as I could. I can wear out some food processors grinding that stuff into chum.

But to answer the question, I personally don't see a problem with dumping this stuff in the water. I lived on a local lake and I had a table set up on my back porch and washed my scraps into the water there. I did catch some large snappers there.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Nature wastes nothing. Have you ever run crawdad traps? I use to fill traps all the time with fish scraps, lots of them and they would be picked clean in a day. That's just the crawdads not to mention turtles and other fish. I personally clean all my fish on my boat and toss the remains back to the lake this harms nothing and feeds everyone else. This keeps my neighbors happy by not smelling a bunch of rotting fish waiting to be hauled to the landfill.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I See Nothing Wrong With It At All, Around HereThe Pelicans And Herons Usually Get The Scraps Before They Sink.

Ditto, To The Fact That The Neighbors Don't Complain About The Rotten Fish Smell. They Used To P/U My Trash On Monday, So It Wasn't Bad. Now They Pick It Up On Wednesday, With Summer Here That Isn't An Option Any More:0a14: Elliot